Strange loss of power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange loss of power?

My Probe SE usually seems to be running lacking the "normal" power. I know this, because occasionally it runs much better - and keeps running well all that drive (this is not just a feeling, there is quite a difference - like it doesn't take a day to accelerate to overtake). What could this possibly be?

Some details: the engine always starts well and runs smooth. At speeds up to 60 mph the car pulls up quite ok (okay, going to high revs, but I know there's not too much torque at low revs in this engine). But trying to accelerate above 70 mph takes really long - so this is very anoying/dangerous when overtaking. Unless my car is in the mood - then I can enjoy the actual power.

I got a 5 speed manual transmission - I often go to 4th gear to overtake and it still takes (too) long. My max speed is (only?) about 100 mph- but that's in both modes.

Another detail is I bought it second hand at 75k, now (a year later) at 90k. Could the engine/valves be damaged? How can I check it?

Any clues?
    PS: I don't think it's sparkplugs or cables, since I already replaced them without effect. Also, if I take one cable off one by one, you can hear the engine drop revs (at idle) - so I know all cyls are working basically.

PS2: my cruising speed while commuting is 80 to 90, so I really like to get this fixed! THANX!!!

Do a search about the vris. Its located behind your trottle body. I would help you but dont know much about it. I have just read post about it. BTW, have you changed your timing belt, beings you should every 60,000 miles. Good luck man.
    1993 MX-6 2.0T
    1994 Probe GT future T
    illicitconcepts@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by MX6phan
      Do a search about the vris. Its located behind your trottle body. I would help you but dont know much about it. I have just read post about it.

Evidently. :grin:

I bet you read about it in the 2.5L section - seeing as those are the engines equipped with VRIS.

Check your catalytic converter.
      You can pull it off, and drive around and see if the problem is gone.
      Of course, a visual inspection may be enough - and you'll sound like a lawnmower with it off.
      1994 Ford Probe 2.0L MTX
      Kitted. Lambos. Slammed. 18s. T3/04E. LSD. MSII. Zoom-Zoom-Psst.

1996 Mazda 626 2.0L MTX
      Lowered. 18s. P5 FSDE. MP3 PCM.

Cardomain - Needs updating.

Comment

hey i tried. Sorry bout that. I am. Thanks for not completely putting me down though, as do some members.

Hey purple, i have a quick question, 17's or stock rims with performance tires? I am not to conserned about the looks, just performance. Thanks
        1993 MX-6 2.0T
        1994 Probe GT future T
        illicitconcepts@yahoo.com

Comment

It was one little mistake, you'll live.

As for the wheels, I've seen a lot of 17" wheels that weigh less than stock.
          1994 Ford Probe 2.0L MTX
          Kitted. Lambos. Slammed. 18s. T3/04E. LSD. MSII. Zoom-Zoom-Psst.

1996 Mazda 626 2.0L MTX
          Lowered. 18s. P5 FSDE. MP3 PCM.

Cardomain - Needs updating.

Comment

Working...
          X