Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wow i am not really into racing my probe but do want it running at its best what type of cluctch should i replace mine with

Comment

• trans problems

thanks for the post i have to change my whole transmission ..... it tore the hell out of third gear when i speed shifted it at 7000rpm but hey it happens and now its time to get a new one ! cheaper to buy a new one than rebuild that one ! but yea was trying to wait on the new 6 speed there working on for the probe gt
      97 GT-DE TURBO ,T3 avc@ 10psi ,gutted,solid mm,ac delete,milli injectors,afpr,walbro 255 fp,AEM wideband, 3in custom bent exhaust,drop zone springs,drilled and slotted rotors,Scoote CF hood,millenium wide body(fully flushed) aas shifter busings ,short throw shifter,xtd stage 3 clutch,HKS ssq bov,custom led clear corners, cstm halo/proj headlights, 18x9 Effectz wheels w/3 inch lip wrapped up in a 265/35/18

Comment

• Nice thread.

Comment

• prolly a dumb question... its the same for the mx6 right?? i did my probe clutch and trans already.. now time to do the gfs mx6
          get in, take a deep breath, start her up, GO!!!!!
          96 pgt lota work done boysenberry NOT PURPLE!!
          06 mazda 6 v6 mtx zoom zoom

Comment

• i did my girls mx6 this way the other day but i had issues with the top trans mount ... the motor and trans didnt sag at all... other than that this was amazingly helpful thanks man

Originally posted by MURDRNU View Post
            thanks for the post i have to change my whole transmission ..... it tore the hell out of third gear when i speed shifted it at 7000rpm but hey it happens and now its time to get a new one ! cheaper to buy a new one than rebuild that one ! but yea was trying to wait on the new 6 speed there working on for the probe gt
            you didnt lose thrid from speed shifting you lost third cuz thats how our trannys are my pgt lost it at 165k and my gfs mx6 lost it at 163k
            Last edited by 96fazda; December 3, 2009, 12:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            get in, take a deep breath, start her up, GO!!!!!
            96 pgt lota work done boysenberry NOT PURPLE!!
            06 mazda 6 v6 mtx zoom zoom

Comment

• Nice write up...

I've feel a little "chatter" when I let out on the pedal... I wonder if the flywheel was "lightened" too much.

Comment

• getting the tranny back on is being a bit(h
                DORI DORI
                私は前輪駆動馬鹿が嫌い

Comment

• changing the clutch

doing it yourself will not only save you money but the quality would be better also ive done it once then had dealerships and other shops mess up by not putting all the bolt on the rear trans mount not doing so will crack it right where the speedo gear is everytime you slam 2nd gear
                  Here is the 96 gt turbo No more leaks and running great 270whp 259 torque 8psi

Comment

• Originally posted by markstheman365 View Post
                    getting the tranny back on is being a bit(h
                    Put the car on it's side and gravity will drop the trans in place, that's how I do it but with the engine out of the car.
                    1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                    1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                    2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                    2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                    1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

• Originally posted by markstheman365 View Post
                      getting the tranny back on is being a bit(h
                      I bought a tranny jack for less than $100 some years ago and it sure makes it a lot easier to do any tranny work. Its a cheap one, but its not like I'm going to use it every month. Its also quite handy for supporting the engine if you're doing a mount, etc. Well worth the money if you do much work on cars.
                      '94 Rio Red GT, 2.65l, 8.8:1 CR, Eaton M90, Quaife limited slip, TEC GT, 370 cc's (Still have the short block, all else gone)
                      '98 Pearl White 3000GT VR4 (with a few mods) SOLD
                      '93 Bone Stock MX-6 Sold (in '05) sadly to the crusher in 2010
                      '92 Midnight Blue Porsche 968

Comment

• http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/pho...6599/96524.gif
                        1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                        1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                        2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                        2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                        1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

• wow that is sweet can't wait to see how my brothers clutch work goes here in a month or so!
                          PGT-95
                          white, lowered, fast enough for now..., limo tint...., almost all fixed.

Originally posted by Brizzy
                          On a side note, where can I purchase a holier than thou ratchet?

Comment

• I used this write-up for my clutch install also. Only problem I had was the front bolts to the engine cradle wouldn't come out. The welds broke that hold the threaded inserts inside the radiator core support, so the bolts just kept spinning. I ended up cutting them off and got new hardware to replace them with. I also installed my front and rear motor mounts and headers at the same time.

Thanks for this write-up Travis. I really didn't know if I could handle this job as I have serious back problems that have kept me out of work for well over a year now. I was able to save up the money for parts, but the cost of installation was nothing short of ridiculous. It was an average of around $600 labor for the clutch and 2 exhaust shops I talked to wouldn't even consider the headers due to the transverse mounted engine. I figured I could take my time and do it myself using this guide if I was careful. One of the posts suggested using write-on ziplock bags for the various bolts, brackets, and other stuff so you wouldn't get things mixed up during re-assembly. This is a great idea and it makes thing go so much better as there's no concerns over what size/length bolt goes where.

There's a reason this thread is still going; and thats because it works. Follow it and take your time. You'll save yourself alot of money in the process. There's a companion thread to this that includes pics. So print it off and get at it!
                            Last edited by pugsrule; April 3, 2010, 03:44 PM.
                            '93 PGT black on black and loaded: Southbend Stage 2 TZ series clutch, MX3 flywheel, STS, CAI, headers, Magnaflow exhaust,Kenwood KDC-X792 deck, Infinity speakers, 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.0 subs, MTX 2300 Thunder and Sony amps...
                            Like Probes, 'Stangs, Guitars or Pugs? Check out my photobucket!
                            http://s486.photobucket.com/albums/r...ugsrule_photo/

Comment

• Originally posted by pugsrule View Post
                              I.There's a companion thread to this that includes pics. So print it off and get at it!
                              Wait, so are you saying that there is a thread like these one, but with pictures to follow the write up process? if so, can you pm me the link or so Thanks....

Comment

• http://forums.probetalk.com/showthre...mpanion+threadThere ya go.
                                '93 PGT black on black and loaded: Southbend Stage 2 TZ series clutch, MX3 flywheel, STS, CAI, headers, Magnaflow exhaust,Kenwood KDC-X792 deck, Infinity speakers, 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.0 subs, MTX 2300 Thunder and Sony amps...
                                Like Probes, 'Stangs, Guitars or Pugs? Check out my photobucket!
                                http://s486.photobucket.com/albums/r...ugsrule_photo/

Comment

Working...
                                X