X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ! Need to know, Read it here!

Fellow Enthusiasts,

Please take a few moments to read this post. Within this post you will find current information on available modifications for the 1993-1997 Ford

Probe, Mazda MX6, and Mazda 626. This post is in its construction phase and should be complete within the coming weeks.
    • Why does my Check Engine Light keep coming on?

A Check Engine Light (CEL), can be cause by many things. The first thing you should do when receiving a CEL is to reset the Engine Control Unit (ECU), by disconnecting the negative battery cable and pressing the brake for ~10seconds, then reattach the cable, and let the car idle for ~5 minutes. Take it for a drive, if the CEL does not come back, then it was just a code stored in the memory of the ECU. If the CEL does come back, it’s time to pull codes.
    • What is OBD and OBD-II?

OBD (On Board Diagnostics) is the system that was used in the ’93, ’94, and ’95 2.5 V6s. OBD-II was the next version of this system, used in the ’96 and ’97 2.5 V6s. It relies on the output from the sensors more than OBD does.
    • Malfunction Codes (OBD)
      How do I pull and read CEL codes?

To pull codes on ‘93-’95 2.5 V6s you must jump the GND and TEN pins in the diagnostic box (located by the battery) with a paper clip, or any other type of jumper wire.
      Go here: http://home.golden.net/~trinity/malf/diag21.gif for a diagram of the diagnostic box pins.
      Then turn the key to the “ON” position (do not start the car) and count the number of blinks the CEL gives. After about 4-seconds, it will begin to flash any codes that may be stored. If there are no codes stored, the CEL will not flash (it will go out).
      Malfunction codes are generally 2-digit affairs although Mazda decided to get tricky. They include 2-digit codes that involve '0' (zero) as a digit. Code 02 is one example. Code 10 is another.
      The codes are broken into a 10s digit and a 1s digit. The 10s digit is flashed first, followed by the 1s digit. The digits are distinguished by the length of time they flash the CEL. 10s digits flash the CEL on for 1.2-sec while 1s digits flash the CEL for 0.4-sec. Digits that are '0' (zero) flash the CEL exactly zero times.
      Here are the possible codes you may get:

02 'NE2' crankshaft position sensor
      03 'G' camshaft position sensor
      04 'NE1' camshaft/crankshaft position sensor
      05 Knock sensor
      08 Volume Air Flow sensor (VAF)
      09 Coolant temperature sensor (CTS)
      10 Intake air temperature sensor (IAT)
      12 Throttle position sensor (TPS)
      14 Barometric pressure sensor
      15 LHO2S inactivation error
      16 Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system
      17 LHO2S inversion error
      23 RHO2S inactivation error
      24 RHO2S inversion error
      25 Fuel pressure regulator control solenoid
      26 Canister purge solenoid
      28 EGR vacuum solenoid
      29 EGR vent solenoid
      34 Idle air control (IAC) solenoid
      41 VRIS #1 solenoid
      46 VRIS #2 solenoid
      67 LFAN relay (1993 only)
      69 ECTF sensor (1993 only)

Pulling codes can also be accomplished for the ATX Transaxle Control Module (TCM), and the ABS module. You just have to jump different pins.

ATX- TAT & GND
      Code Affected System or Component
      01 NE1 (crankshaft position sensor)
      06 Vehicle speed sensor
      12 Throttle position sensor
      14 BARO sensor (located within PCME)
      55 Vehicle speed pulse generator
      56 ATF thermosensor
      57 Reduce torque signal 1
      58 Reduce torque signal 2
      59 Torque reduced/ECT sensor
      60 1-2 shift solenoid valve
      61 2-3 shift solenoid valve
      62 3-4 shift solenoid valve
      63 Converter lock-up solenoid valve
      64 3-2 timing solenoid valve
      65 converter lock-up valve
      66 line pressure solenoid valve

ABS- TBS & GND
      Code Affected System or Component
      11 Right front wheel speed sensor or rotor
      12 Left front wheel speed sensor or rotor
      13 Right rear wheel speed sensor or rotor
      14 Left rear wheel speed sensor or rotor
      15 Wheel speed sensor
      22 Hydraulic unit harness
      51 Fail-safe relay
      53 Motor or motor relay
      61 ABS control unit

For ’96 and ’97 2.5 V6s, you must use a code reader to pull the codes. Code readers retail for ~$150.
    • OBDII
      OBD II Images Info on OBDII codes will be up soon!
    • Vacumn Line Diagrams
      Unplugged a few to many lines eh? Well dont worry, complete diagrams are Right here
    • TPS Adjustment
      TPS? Whats that?
      Wanna know or dont really care?
      Read this and you might learn something new.
      See, you can teach an old dog new tricks. :grin:
    • General OEM Specs
      Want to know a few facts about Mazda engines.
      Hers a few.

There was never a KL08
      All things with the KL prefix are 2.5L motors
      All things with the KF prefix are 2.0L motors
      All things with the K8 prefix are 1.8L motors
      All things with the KJ prefix are 2.25L motors

If there is a ZE suffix then that means it's from Japan [and therefore higher output due to a bunch of factors like Jspec henweigh et al.] Click me
    • What is VRIS, and why do I need it?

VRIS is Variable Resonance Induction System
      http://home.epix.net/~wfmartin/vris.htm
      That should answer any question you have on how it works.
      Now for the next frequently asked VRIS question…
      Do NOT tie them open, unless they are not working. They help the performance of the car. Only remove them if you are going F/I.
    • Why is there oil in my spark plug wells?

Your valve cover gaskets (VCG) are leaking, one of the more common maintenance problems the 2.5 has. A temporary fix is to go through and make sure all the valve cover bolts are torqued to spec. If leaking persists, replace the gaskets.
      The front gaskets is an easy fix, taking someone with minimal mechanical experience an hour at the most.
      The rear gasket is much harder, taking many people 4 hours or more to complete the replacement. You must remove the Intake manifold to access the rear valve cover. Be sure to label any hoses that were attached to the intake manifold, upon removal, as it is very easy to mix them up.
    • What is the IAT mod?

The IAT (Intake Air Temp) mod, is something that only works on ATX equipped 2.5’s. It effectively eliminates the fuel cut that occurs during the shifts on the ATX, it also slightly raises valve body line pressure. This will result in a faster, firmer shift. On average expect a ~.3 second drop in your ¼ mile times.
    • Okay, now how do I do the IAT mod?

http://rogue.bucks.edu/~0257335/IAT/
      There ya go
    • G-Tech Pro
      G-Tech. Right, whats a G-Tech? Is that a new Honda engine?
      Learn to use this product propperly and you to can have your own wallet sized Dyno.
      G-Tech Pro

• More to follow.

Rick_96PGT #62
    "I never apologize.
    I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am."
    - Homer J. Simpson

TTT
    '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    '16 Chrysler 300S

Comment

Working...
    X