Shuttering during enguagement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttering during enguagement

For some reason my 2.5L mtx is shuttering violently during enguagement and has since I bought it. I suspected the clutch and replaced it along with turning the flywheel. I replaced both front and rear motor mounts and braced the front with inserts. Any idea what it could be guys???
    75 dry shot, testpipe, cai, 65mm tb, spec stage 2 clutch, walbro 190

I would think any driveline play would give you some of that, like worn struts, bad control-arm busshings, etc. I would check all that out, not necessarily the clutch itself any more.

Comment

Did the clutch disc get replaced properly (the proper side towards the flywheel)?
      If the flywheel had been heat-damaged (very likely), then turning it wouldn't fix the problem, as it would promptly warp.
      KevinD
      1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

Clutch chatter

I know what you mean by this as my Probe Used to do this as well.

I have read alot about this and basically it can be weak springs either in the pressure plate and/or the clutch, contamination of the clutch from the MTX front seal or rear main, uneven flywheel surface, cracked or busted mounts, or excessive play in the driveline.

Cheaper clutches (like the Advance special) will do this. I know. I put one of these in my car and wish I hadn't. I too had the flywheel surfaced, new pilot bearing, mounts, and all new clutch hardware.

Anyway I am not going to tell you to do this but I got so sick and tired of my car shuttering in reverse and 1st that one day after dealing with the issue I decided I didn't care what happened to the clutch so I put the thing in 4th at a dead stop, applied the P-Brake, floored the engine and popped the clutch. I let it slip for about 3 seconds (assuming that I would put another clutch in it anyway since I was pissed) and whalla. Its not done it since and that was 12K miles ago with only 26K on the clutch when I did this.
        1993 PGT 342K Miles - Sold
        1996 PSE 330K Miles
        http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701317615
        Proud Owner of a Senior Probe Here on PT!!!

Comment

I am positive the clutch was installed correct.... I am beggining to suspect slop in the drive line now...because after I turned the flywheel and installed a new clutch it shuttered exactly like it did before....the mystery continues...
          75 dry shot, testpipe, cai, 65mm tb, spec stage 2 clutch, walbro 190

Comment

Working...
          X