Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans not shifting right..

97 GT Auto.
    Started today if I drive normal the trans shifts hard and the RPM's just up when shifting, also the engine light flickers when it not shifting right. this does not happen all the time. Now if I take off car shifts fine.. This does not happen all the time usually after 15 minutes of driving..
    Any Ideas???
    Thanks

hows the fluid look? is it full?
    93 Ford Probe GT - Weaksauce 2.5L
    05 Pontiac GTO - 6.0L LS2, 6-Speed

Comment

if the fluid is brunt smalling then your tranny is on the way out if it only dose it in one gear you may have aclucht going bad.filter and fluid change is easy and may buy you sometime before you need to replace it..also you dont drive the car hard do you this tranny can not take much at all?
      http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2653387.png

Comment

are you noticing this when shifting only into second or third? i.e. more RPM's and then a hard shift into 3rd.
        "Soon, it occurred to me that there were two races going on...
        one for those who'd brought the right tools and one for those who were tools."

Comment

Trans oil is at the right level. Oil does not smell burnt.. Yes 2 to 3 gears shift hard and more RPM's

Comment

you're going to need a new trans. Remember to put a large (hayden 404 available anywhere) cooler on and run it in series with your stock cooler when you get it fixed.
            Last edited by 93GTS; November 20, 2008, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Ok, Cool.... Might not have the money to do it. So I might just sell it car has cost me too much already.. Over $2000. in parts alone....
              Thanks for the info!!

Comment

Dont, you can not use the stock cooler if the tranny went out. Why would you want to put the old burnt up particle filled fluid, that no matter how hard you try to will not get it all out, back in the new tranny. Use only the aftermarket cooler. You also have to replace the torque converter.
                Dan- ASE certified-A1, A4, A5, A8
                Life, Liberty and the Pursuit...
                R.I.P. Joe Mohr 10/3/06, Tom Major 2/17/08
                I dont do cars anymore, I have a type 03 FFL...

Comment

If he backflushes it after he puts the new tranny in and is flushing the tranny then he will be fine. Just move the pump hose to the bottom line and put the top line in a bucket off of the cooler. Then put the return hose in a bucket or bottle of new fluid and it will pull it in. Remember to swap hoses back when done.

My old 626 ran 100k+ and is still going on it's 3rd CD4E tranny. They're much worse than the 4EAT as far as failure due to heat is concerned. I just stuck the old (and small) hayden cooler off of my mopar parts car on it and it's okay. He probably doesn't have much if any material circulating yet as it just started failing.

Drumer919, are you also on the blazinlow.com forums? I see you have a couple of SBC swaps in your sig. Not to mention using the 4L60 (which is just as bad as the PGT tranny, lol)
                  Last edited by 93GTS; November 21, 2008, 11:30 AM.

Comment

No I'm only on v8s10.org, I love the 4L60E, its a great tranny, stock it cant handle a lot of extra power (holds LS1's just fine) but it can be built to hold anything.

IMO, I would NEVER re-use a cooler or converter from a tranny that went bad.
                    Last edited by drumer919; November 22, 2008, 11:39 AM.
                    Dan- ASE certified-A1, A4, A5, A8
                    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit...
                    R.I.P. Joe Mohr 10/3/06, Tom Major 2/17/08
                    I dont do cars anymore, I have a type 03 FFL...

Comment

Ok over the weekend I took the car to AAMCO Transmissions...
                      They told me it's not the trans, that it's a intermittent engine miss... That's a new one one me. Anyone have that happen before????

Comment

Originally posted by drumer919 View Post
                        No I'm only on v8s10.org, I love the 4L60E, its a great tranny, stock it cant handle a lot of extra power (holds LS1's just fine) but it can be built to hold anything.

IMO, I would NEVER re-use a cooler or converter from a tranny that went bad.
                        LOL, I've had nothing but problems out of the 700R4 and 4L60. I'm sure they're (4L60E) good trannies (at least better than the PGT ones, ha!) With the LS-1, there really wasn't a good choice for me as the 02 camaro parts car that I bought for my LS-1 S-10 swap had 98k on it. Needless to say, the 4L60 didn't last long. I wanted to go to a T-56, but they can be problematic too and are harder to find around here because of their popularity for swaps.

Ultimately, I got rid of that one (as well as the freaking expensive VATS-delete painless extended harness to put the PCM inside the truck under the dash) and kept my 87 with 2.5L I4 and T5... LOL Then, after about 200k, the front A5 bearing in the T5 went out and I disassembled and pressed the gear off of the output shaft to change the rear bearing... and there it sits in a box after 3 years.

Originally posted by fstkat View Post
                        Ok over the weekend I took the car to AAMCO Transmissions...
                        They told me it's not the trans, that it's a intermittent engine miss... That's a new one one me. Anyone have that happen before????
                        It's almost undoubtedly the trans. The only thing you're missing is the flashing "OD Off" light. You've probably set a code for intermittent misfire (remember, your car is OBD-II). Do a tune-up and see if it affects the problem. If it fixes it, you've saved $1500!
                        Last edited by 93GTS; November 24, 2008, 10:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I've already did a tune-up,timing belt,dusty,intake gasket...

Comment

Originally posted by fstkat View Post
                            I've already did a tune-up,timing belt,dusty,intake gasket...
                            There should be a code for each cylinder; but who knows how long that code has been sitting in the nvram of the ecu, really. Could have been from before you did your tune-up if you didn't disconnect the battery. I'm sorry if you said this before, but how long have you had this PGT?
                            Last edited by 93GTS; November 24, 2008, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Had the car about a year... Did the tune up and everthing I said before about 6 months ago...

Comment

Working...
                              X