No announcement yet.

'94 Probe GT won't start. Fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which marks did you use to check valve timing, the one on the harmonic balancer or the notch in the timing belt sprocket?

Harmonic balancer might have slipped.
    '94 PGT - MTX, KLG4 IM/xtremethings ECU, CAI, Headers, cat delete, Magnaflow, STS, Phenos, HEI mod, XTD 6-puck on a molly flywheel, Walbro 190, ZEX wet system, "Jacked" VRIS, pillar gauges, nav, Kitted & Winged. Why you so slow?

Comment

I used the one on the harmonic balancer. How could it slip? I thought this was keyed and locked into the crank.

It was a notch out of the back of the wheel. The other marks on the cams lined up exactly when this notch was on the "T" of the timing light gauge.

Shawn

Comment

The harmonic balancer is two pieces fused together with rubber, the outside pully (with the ignition timing notch) can seperate and spin from the center hub.
        '94 PGT - MTX, KLG4 IM/xtremethings ECU, CAI, Headers, cat delete, Magnaflow, STS, Phenos, HEI mod, XTD 6-puck on a molly flywheel, Walbro 190, ZEX wet system, "Jacked" VRIS, pillar gauges, nav, Kitted & Winged. Why you so slow?

Comment

Is it designed that way, to be two pieces? Are they supposed to spin away from each other? If the front and back of the balancer have broken loose, what would be the chances that it would line up with the "T" on the timing light lines, and exactly line up with the cam lines? I would think there would be a discrepancy there. You know what I mean?

Shawn

Comment

They are built that way to absorb some vibration, they are not supposed to seperate.
            I know what you mean, a long shot no doubt, but crazier things have happened.

Pull the crank bolt, the timing mark on the outer pully should align with the crankshaft keyway.

Comment

Ok, we're good on that. I pulled the bolt and the timing mark on the pully lines up exactly with the keyway.

shawn

Comment

WOW!

Check fuel pressure
                Try a different distributor.
                Try a different ecu.
                Try different fuel rails.

Other than that, I'm stumped too.

Comment

Getting to the fuel rails would mean taking off the intake manifold, is that correct? Is there a good test for injectors? I would have thought squirting in starting fluid would have fired up the car.

I'm thinking it is the ECU. Do you think maybe the dealer has a test to see if that thing is any good?

Maybe I should just get new plugs and try those. The ones I have look pretty raunchy.

All I know is this car is really ticking me off. I'm stumped too. This thing is so frustrating.

I'm going to pull every fuse and test it with an ohm meter.

Thank you for all your input guys, especially you Earl.

Shawn

Comment

You can replace the fuel rails with the manifold on.
                    Easier to swap the ecu with a known good one than to have it tested.
                    Engine won't fire, even on starting fluid, if the cylinders are flooded with fuel.
                    Dry out the cylinders and try some new plugs.

Comment

Earl, I just sent you a private message, did you get it?

Shawn

Comment

Alright, I had taken the plugs out from before and had no plugs in the cylinders for about 24 hours now to let the gas dry out. I put in new plugs just now, cranked it. No start. I took out the new plugs and they are gas soaked once again.

I think it's the ECU. Who knows.

Comment

Working...
                        X