power steering removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering removal

Ok so my power steering pump is going out. And i was reading on here a while ago about another pulley you can buy and put where the tensinor pulley is was wandering if any one knows what one it is and also what belt size i will have to use if any body esle has don this let me know the easiest way i want to remove it all the way

pileof rd1 did it to his mx3 hes got a pic of it in his thread he used a gm auto tensioner

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

post 67
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthre...1303319&page=3

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

if you take out the pump with out modifing the rack or replacing it with a manual rack you are going to have one hell of a time turning at slower speeds
    95 PGT white dd klze / mtx fidanza,maf swapped obx headers 2 1/2" mandrel bent 14.3 sec 1/4mile time
    94 PGT blue toy de/ze/g4 hybrid/ mtx turbo 5- 10 psi maf swapped aem piggy back, fidanza mandrel bent exaust
    93 PGT red klde/mtx klg4 intake,wild orchid interior
    97&94&93 PGT gone
    DALE

Comment

thanks for the help and who is goinin to do slow turning lol. it really does not bother me though

Comment

it will bother you trying to pull into a parking spot
        95 PGT white dd klze / mtx fidanza,maf swapped obx headers 2 1/2" mandrel bent 14.3 sec 1/4mile time
        94 PGT blue toy de/ze/g4 hybrid/ mtx turbo 5- 10 psi maf swapped aem piggy back, fidanza mandrel bent exaust
        97&94&93 PGT gone
        DALE

Comment

right but what size belt am i gonna use on it or samo one since it going around tensioner

Comment

im not sure pm pile and ask him all what he used
            97&94&93 PGT gone
            DALE

Comment

Pmd him but still have not gotten a reply any one else know what size belt

Comment

dont remember what belt. its gonna have to go ribs on smooth on the tensioner pulley, and its gonna have to be a 3 rib to clear that lip on the oil pump. wrap a string around the 3 pulleys and measure it. thats how i figured out the belt length, and had to get a 3rib cuz thats all they had in stock that was close to my measurement, and it ended up working out perfect because a 4 rib wouldntve worked without cutting off a rib or grinding the oil pump housing

in case you didnt catch the idea yet, you use the oem tensioner but run the belt around the other side of the pulley. i never threw off the belt and i had a ps delete for well over a year and eleventeen billions trips to the rev limiter and back. it wont come off unless its loose as shit.

for a clean look i cut off the top half of the tensioner bracket, right above the middle bolt hole. i cut off the ps lines right at the rack and crimped them off.

it all started with a weekly or so engine pull to fix broke shit, and this one time i really didnt feel like dicking with that 14mm bolt on the back of the ps pump. i regreted the ps delete ever since. easily the dumbest thing i done to my car, on 245 wide summer tires, it was a pain in the ass to steer at city driving speeds

so dont do it. youll regret it. unless you got forearms the size of tree trunks and you switched gyms because the gym you go to didnt have enough weights for you, then you wont notice a difference. but if your a mere mortal, youll hate it
                -Roman
                93 teal mist PGT.....RIP march 21, 2008
                95 white PGT....blown up, sold
                94 325i...boring dd
                02 R6....toy

Comment

pulley part# goodyear 49021

belt size= 285k4

make sure you grind down the oil pump so you have belt clearance
                  Last edited by DroptAtBirth; February 27, 2012, 11:36 PM.

Comment

thanks so much

Comment

Would the goodyear 49021be the same part number as the one hockey used ? I prefer his method. Errr never mind it wouldn't be , would it be the same length as his 4 rib ?
                      1997 PGTS......Turbo, 3 inch exhaust,Ms1v3, Nitto555,lip, slammed adjustable supsension,Wideband, upgraded fuel, Lots of mods

Comment

I used stock tensioner in tht location and drilled a whole threw the mounting bracket for power steering tensioner. Then mounted a extra timing pulley I had and squared it out. Still using regular four rib belt that was there.
                        I don't mind the lack of power steering, my pump half worked so converting rack to Manuel actually made it easier to turn because I am no longer trying to push power steering fluid
                        If possible just convert rack, it's like super easy

Comment

Working...
                        X