OBDII engine and power train into OBDI car question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBDII engine and power train into OBDI car question

I just picked up a 1996 PGT and I want to swap it's engine and manual tranny as a whole into my 1993 PGT which is an automatic. Will there be any conflicting issues in doing this since I think the 96 is an OBD II?? The build date was in October of 1995 so I'm assuming it's OBD II ( bought it online from an insurance auction).

http://imgur.com/ZAEJK5P
    Last edited by XKR; August 11, 2014, 01:50 PM.

The engines are the same, you need to swap over the passenger side coolant neck to the 93 one with the extra coolant sensor, or drill and tap the 96 one to fit the sensor, exhaust manifolds, and swap the egr valve over.. bout it.. unless you wanna swap all the 96 electronics and wiring harness into the car
    1992 Mazda MX-3 GS - KLG4 Turbo

Scott

Comment

Swapcoolant neck, swap oil pressure switch (put the one from the 93 on the new motor to be installed), and swap ecu to a 93 ora 94 probe gt manuel trans ecu ( if you use 94 ecu you do not need to swap coolant necks) .
      If you choose not to swap ecu then you will havecodes and will also have to install a switch to make trans think its in neutral to start and shut off once started to get her to rev past 5 grand
      I have a 94 manuel trans ecu probe gt if you want to purchase
      And I have a xtreme things ecu for a 93 or a 94 manuel trans, the egr codes are permently deleted but she is set up for ze manifold and kl31 cams,
      But mr. Xtreme things can easily swap the tune outfor whatever setup you have

Comment

Is there any chance that a car that was made in 1995 would be OBD I? Is it difficult to swap the coolant neck and oil pressure switch? I think I might be ok with codes since it is OBDI and when I get it inspected, they don't scan for codes.

Would it be easier to just swap the tranny to MTX? My car has 122,000 miles and the engine I could swap in has 74,000.

Comment

Originally posted by XKR View Post
          Is there any chance that a car that was made in 1995 would be OBD I? Is it difficult to swap the coolant neck and oil pressure switch? I think I might be ok with codes since it is OBDI and when I get it inspected, they don't scan for codes.

Would it be easier to just swap the tranny to MTX? My car has 122,000 miles and the engine I could swap in has 74,000.
          The 95 Probe is OBD-1, as are most 95's. There may be some 95's that are OBD-2, but 96 is considered the changeover year to OBD-2.
          95 Probe GT -- 24 Hours of LeMons race car!
          Our teams Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Comment

yes swap over to the mtx trans(way better) and if they dont care about codes you are good, just swap that ecu to a 1994 probe gt ecu and you can leave the existing coolant neck, and swapping over the oil pressure switch is super easy
            if you leave the car running on a atx trans you will have to wire in a neutral kill switch
            switch on= means car in nuetral so you can start
            switch off= means not in neutral so you can rev past 5 grand
            Again i have the 94 probe gt ecu stock or the xtreme things one, lmt if interested

Comment

okay i just checked on my 96, it has a diogonstic port under the hood and it doesnt look OBD2. Does this mean by some weird luck it's a OBD1?

Comment

You'll probably want to put the exhaust manifolds, (if you intend on keeping them), from the 93 engine to the 96 engine. The 93's have (1) O2 sensor per manifold, the 96's have (2) O2 sensors per manifold.

Also, the distributor from the 93 to the 96 may be a bit different and need to be swapped over. I did a swap similar to this and just thought the caps and rotors were the same.........they're not. The disadvantage is that the 93 distributors have been known to fail on a semi-regular basis depending on age/mileage. The 96's .........not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by RACERSNUT View Post
                  You'll probably want to put the exhaust manifolds, (if you intend on keeping them), from the 93 engine to the 96 engine. The 93's have (1) O2 sensor per manifold, the 96's have (2) O2 sensors per manifold.

Also, the distributor from the 93 to the 96 may be a bit different and need to be swapped over. I did a swap similar to this and just thought the caps and rotors were the same.........they're not. The disadvantage is that the 93 distributors have been known to fail on a semi-regular basis depending on age/mileage. The 96's .........not so much.
                  I was thinking about putting on some OBX headers. They look decent

Comment

The catalyst sticker should say what EPA regulation the car conforms to.
                    In 96 manufacturers were required by law to adhere to obd2 standards.

Comment

You live in jersey, like me, so look at registration, if it says 1996 then you have emissions to lorry about and can not have cel on or it's auto fail

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

You must use 93 disty for the engine if in 93, use 96 on if you use 96, minor note I think there is a thread that you can use obd 2 disty on obd 1, matter of switching some wires

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

On another note, you live in jersey,like me, 95 and below only get smog test cel light does not apply

Comment

Working...
                      X