ATX slipping on a 95 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATX slipping on a 95 GT

After getting the motor running right because 2 parts store sold me the wrong CTS. I now need to work on the other issue with this car. The transmission has been slipping. Won't shift into 3rd gear and if you step on the gas the the motor revs but doesn't seem to move. So I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what was done to fix it. I'm not sure if fixing the car is worth it, but it only has 80,000 miles on it. I just replaced the timing belt, water pump, crank sensor, coolant temp sensor, and a new motorcraft disty. I'm torn about selling it or parting it out. The car has no rust and has never been driven in the winter here in Wisconsin. It does have some hail damage from getting caught in a storm. If anyone has had any auto transmission issue let me know what your experiences were and what you had to do.

Originally posted by NHadler View Post
    After getting the motor running right because 2 parts store sold me the wrong CTS. I now need to work on the other issue with this car. The transmission has been slipping. Won't shift into 3rd gear and if you step on the gas the the motor revs but doesn't seem to move. So I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what was done to fix it. I'm not sure if fixing the car is worth it, but it only has 80,000 miles on it. I just replaced the timing belt, water pump, crank sensor, coolant temp sensor, and a new motorcraft disty. I'm torn about selling it or parting it out. The car has no rust and has never been driven in the winter here in Wisconsin. It does have some hail damage from getting caught in a storm. If anyone has had any auto transmission issue let me know what your experiences were and what you had to do.
    That's typical of the ATX. Went through it with my old 97 GT. I had the trans rebuilt.
    Jim
    1989 Probe GT
    2010 Mustang GT Premium (MT): Red Candy Metallic
    2014 Focus S (MTX): Sterling Grey daily

Comment

How long since the simple stuff like changing the trans fluid and filter was last done?

Comment

We never changed the fluids or filters ( I know we should have). It's my son's car and I know he would push the car pretty hard. I was his age once so I know he had a heavy foot on it. I'm just wondering how much it would be to rebuild it, or if it's even worth it. I thought about just dropping a MTX in it but reading some of the post on here it sounds like a pain. I'm not sure what I am going to do with. It was a fun car to drive.

Comment

do the swap, the car is guttless with the atx. I know, I've done the swap. And sides do you want him to be a guy who only drives autos
          1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
          What have I done to it? Stuff...
          What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
          Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html

Comment

Same thing with my 94 went through two auto transport on my 3rd one now, if you don't care about performance swap a auto in if you do swap in a 5 speed.
            http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/...GIFs/plane.gif

Comment

I've done the atx-mtx swap.....the atx is still sitting in my back yard (and it was a good atx too)...if you go that route, I'd highly suggest doing a megasquirt install at the same time as then you will just rewire the sensors to the MS unit and not have to deal with the wiring harnesses
              '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
              '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
              '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

Thanks everyone. Is there a good walk through for the swap? Like what parts will be needed and any customizing? I hate to get rid of the car I put so much time, effort and money into it so far. Probably wouldn't get much for it with bad tranny.

Comment

https://forums.probetalk.com/showthr...p?t=1701000549
                  1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
                  What have I done to it? Stuff...
                  What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
                  Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html

Comment

After having the car sitting in my garage for the last year while I contemplate if I want to do the swap I have decided to put it up for sale. I don't have the time or the room for it anymore.

Comment

I owned an atx before and it was a complete pita. I sold it and bought my mtx. If you do decide to sell it and are nearby I am looking for a PGT. But if you decide to keep it seriously consider the swap.
                      1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
                      2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
                      99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

Originally posted by NHadler View Post
                        After having the car sitting in my garage for the last year while I contemplate if I want to do the swap I have decided to put it up for sale. I don't have the time or the room for it anymore.
                        Is the car a white 95 atx. I saw one for sale close to my house that looked very clean.
                        Undertaker
                        1993 Ford Probe GT
                        2013 Mazdaspeed3 Touring w/ Tech Package

Comment

No, It's a red one. I do have it on craigslist and Facebook market. It's in the Appleton area.

Comment

Working...
                          X