Ford probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford probe

Hello, my ford probe always hard starts when hot, but when its cold it starts no problem found out it's missing a temp sensor? i don't know

Here is a link to the photo i took

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/al...?sort=3&page=1

if anyone could help thank you
    Last edited by ProbeOwner; August 21, 2016, 05:49 AM.

Originally posted by ProbeOwner View Post
    Hello, my ford probe always hard starts when hot, but when its cold it starts no problem found out it's missing a temp sensor? i don't know

Here is a link to the photo i took

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/al...?sort=3&page=1

if anyone could help thank you
    Missing, or malfunctioning and in need of replacement?

Comment

What year is your Probe?

Is it the original engine?

The photo shows a temperature sensor next to the coolant filler cap that is unique to the 1993 Probe. That sensor controlled the fans only. The air/fuel mixture and idle speed etc was controlled by a second coolant temperature sensor, located at the end of the fuel rails, passenger side.

1994 and later Probes deleted that sensor for the fans, and used the main sensor to control the fans instead.

If your Probe is 1994 or later, ignore that sensor in the photo. Instead, replace the 2-wire sensor next to the timing belt cover at the end of the fuel rails. (It's the green one, that you can just see in the photo, above the red circle).
      Last edited by NickR; August 21, 2016, 01:04 PM.

Comment

It's a 1994, and yes its the original engine.

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/al...in=true&page=1

here is link to the photo of the green sensor. so if i replace it would not hard start any more sounds like you've had this problem before i guess?

PS - thank you Sliverprobe and NickR for taking some time out of your day to help me!

Comment

What did you originally mean when you said you'd "found out it's a missing temp sensor". Had you checked your CEL codes?

If that meant something else, you could check for any stored CEL's yourself to maybe help narrow down the problem.

You simply put a jumper between the "Ten" and "Gnd" pins in the square diagnostic plug by the fuse/relay box by your battery, turn the ignition key to Run, then count the flashes on your CEL light on your dashboard.

https://forums.probetalk.com/showthr...p?t=1701015446
          Last edited by Silverprobe; August 22, 2016, 01:12 PM.

Comment

If it's a 94, then you do not need the temp sensor in your first photo. (But it is very puzzling why your engine, if it's original, even has that sensor).

I would replace the sensor in your second photo. Many owners have had similar symptoms when that sensor goes bad. But a word of warning: I have read threads about some parts stores having the wrong part number for that sensor. I suggest you go to the Mazda dealer, tell them you have a 94 Mazda MX6 V6, and install the sensor they sell you.

Comment

I think a missing temp sensor causes rich fuel -which would be hard start cold and normal start hot.

If your problem is caused by a too lean mixture (suspect) -it could be a lot of things. Dirty fuel injectors is always my first thought with a lean mixture.

O2 sensors can also cause a lean mixture.

Hard starting when hot can also be a faulty distributor. I had to spray starting fluid into my wife's Probe for a while any time it was hot because it would not start unless I did. I changed a bunch of items and eventually changed the disty -which fixed it. Was likely a weak spark when hot!
              Success is a measure of determination!
              Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
              $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
              Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
              Restoration of a legend

Comment

Working...
              X