Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the normal oil temp on these kl motors??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the normal oil temp on these kl motors??

I'v had problems with oil lost but I dont see no leaks on my car so I come to the conclusion that my oil is getting too hot then evaporizing..Does any body have a clue why my car is losing oil?? Btw its not coming out of the exhaust but I smell it when drive down a long hill (coasting down),but I dont see no smoke..I have a 94 probe gt stock.Ive been driving this car for 18 years now with good luck comparing to the others here in PT.. Btw I mounted a oil temp gage and it read 230 degrees Cel at normal driving and 248 when I get on it..
    Last edited by howdyhowy; September 7, 2017, 03:22 AM.

Try the simple stuff first. Do you know if your PCV valve is working properly and that the associated hoses and tubing is flowing freely?

Comment

Simple could also include just changing the valve cover gaskets. Often the leak onto the exhaust and will just sit there and burn. Some of it may dribble down and coat the underside of your car and not leave really large oil stains where you park it.

A good way to check is to just look at the underside for signs of heavy oil coating. This dribble-dribble from valve cover gaskets can also destroy your alternator and your A-Arm Bushings on the right hand side (nearest pulleys on engine for those of you that drive on the wrong side of the road )
      Success is a measure of determination!
      Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
      $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
      Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
      Restoration of a legend

Comment

my oil temp sits a little lower than yours does and i have no burning, what was mentioned above is valid and id like to add the possibility of leaky valve stem seals.
        Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
        Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
        Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

Thx for your replys to all here .. yes thats what I thought too with the valve cover gaskets thats why I changes them last month, KLZE Porsch, but my valve stem seals I didnt think about that one for in germany they require a cat for the emission control and the oil can be burnt before it get out of the exhaust pipe..And yes the pvc valve is clear and working like it suppost too.. I even went to the trouble to cut up some stainless steel cleaning pads and mounted them in the vents from the valve covers to reduce oil from spitting out threw the pvc valve and vents that go to the intake like in the V8s was back in the 70s( like as a filter).. but the only thing I can think of why I'm losing oil is its getting too hot and evaporating ..does anybody really know the average tempature for the oil because I mounted a oil cooler and the oil temperture at the same time so I really dont know what the temperature was before the cooler was mounted..

Comment

Oil temp is supposed to be within 10 deg celcius of your coolant temp, mine has always been higher (possibly because the sensor is mounted near my extractors). Since the thermal fan turns on at 108c +10c = 245f so you are fine.
            Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
            Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

thankyou all for the quick answers this oil temperature gage was driving me crazy not knowing the temperature what it should be..So that means that I'm going to change my valve stem seals as quick as I can..

Comment

I wouldnt jump at your valve stem seals just yet. Drive down a LONG steep hill, when you reach the bottom and hit the gas if there is a puff of smoke from your exhaust its your valve stem seals, if there is no smoke its probably not them.

Comment

Like I said before I smelled smoke but I didnt see none.This would be the second time though if it is that..

Comment

Like I said before I didnt see any smoke ,even when I bump the gas after I come down a long hill. But this would be the second time ,to change these seals if it is these seals, so it wouldnt be a big deal to change them. I'v been driving this car for 18 years and with over 300,000km on it its been getting its mantenance along the way..But I'm thinking of the ideal of a ZE with this megasquirt but I'm still undecited about this ideal..
                    Last edited by howdyhowy; September 8, 2017, 07:02 AM.

Comment

update..bought a ZE motor and overhauled it completely since then, and now it seems everything is working like it should.. Was thinking of putting a ZE in anyway so that solved my problem whats the saying .."killed 2 birds with one stone" thx for the wonderful response here..

Comment

Working...
                      X