Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I installed a set of R4S's on my car yesterday, and bedded them in last night (I can still smell brakes on my clothes!). Auto-xed the car today, and I'm pretty impressed with the pads.
    These are my first "serious" pads, so I don't really have a whole lot to compare them to (was running PBR Deluxe before), but they seem to have great bite and much better modulation. I still need to do another bleed (pedal is a touch soft), but still, it's the best my brakes have ever felt. My only regret is not buying the lines too--I sourced some locally for cheaper, but I had to modify the banjo fitting and the part that attaches to the strut to make them fit.
    Last edited by jduffett; September 25, 2005, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• Good news to our members. When speaking with Porterfield recently, I asked about opening up our discount a little more to allow our members more choices in pads. They agreed.
      So now we get discounts on pads like Performance Friction and HAWK. See the main post for details.

Toodles!
      Toodles, Stacey_B --++=1st Gens not slow!=++-- FallGuy
      MY 'NEW' 1990 RACE CAR Stacey_B AOL IM: SCCAStaceyIB - SCCA RS - Solo2 (FSP) "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life. Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT. Hagopian/Bertran
      Sponsors: Porterfield Racing Brakes - LTB Motorsports - Tires Warehouse - Auto-Meter

Comment

• Just ordered a full set of R4S pads for my 1g as well as a set of brake lines (might as well replace them on such an old car).

Customer service was great. The only snag I had was they asked me for my "member number" to the Probe Club. I told her I did not know but to look at my last order (I already ordered for my 2g a year or whenever ago). She said it was not there then asked some guy there and it was all cleared up.

Thanks again Stacey!

I'll be sure to post up any fitment issues on the lines in either event (perfect fit or requires some tweaking).
        Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
        1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

• Bump! Ordered a set today and wow they were friendly on the phone. I'm hoping for quick shipping on my rear pads.

Comment

• awesome. That's good to hear since i'll probably order the R4-S pads tomorrow. Possibly the Brembo blank rotors too.
            i need to fix my email, cuz it's no good and i need to fix it

Comment

• I'll probably be ordering some Hawk HPS pads in the next few days. I didn't know about this deal until now! 2 years after the fact to PT and Porterfield for this promotion
              '09 Cobalt SS Pictures!

'95 Probe GT MTX Rio Red. Pictures! Sold 10-17-08

'93 Probe SE - Sold 12-22-04

Comment

• add me to the list of porterfield owners...got my R4-S today, however, the warehouse had a packing issue. i got 2 sets of rear brake pads, even though the part number on the box was for the fronts. contacted the company and they will ship out the new set tomorrow, should get here on monday or tuesday. very good customer service, would recommend them to anyone. will let you know what the results are.
                probe is sold, now i have what the probe was suppose to replace, but ironically replaced my probe
                1993 nighthawk 750
                http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/b...otor/assembly/

Comment

• Your welcome

Thanks for supporting my efforts to get you this deal. The people at Porterfield have always been happy. Very happy with the amount of orders our community has been placing with them since the beginning some 2 yrs ago.
                  MY 'NEW' 1990 RACE CAR Stacey_B AOL IM: SCCAStaceyIB - SCCA RS - Solo2 (FSP) "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life. Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT. Hagopian/Bertran
                  Sponsors: Porterfield Racing Brakes - LTB Motorsports - Tires Warehouse - Auto-Meter

Comment

• Just ordered a set of Hawk HPS rear pads. They said it looked as though the deal was only for Porterfield pads (Hawk was mentioned in the first post, so that's what I was planning to get). They gave me a few bucks off anyway though, and the lady was very nice
                    '09 Cobalt SS Pictures!

'95 Probe GT MTX Rio Red. Pictures! Sold 10-17-08

'93 Probe SE - Sold 12-22-04

Comment

• Tim is the contact at Porterfield. We talked and he might not have mentioned it to the girls who answere the phone. If anyone else runs into this. Ask for Tim.

Comment

• Bought R4's for the front & rear and they work fantastically well on track.. No fade issues .. only problem is they only last me a day (1 1/2 hours actually). Am on my second set and due to the cost I think I'll be switching to pads that last longer..

Comment

• If you only got 1-1/2 hours out of a set of racing pads. You may want to talk to some drivers about braking techniques, threshold breaking, brake ducting and proper trailbraking techniques.

A set of R4 pads will last me 6 days. 3 racing weekends. Thats a big arsee difference.

Comment

• You could be correct about the brake wear. It went up a lot after fitting slicks... Here's a clip of one of my laps for you to get an idea of the amount braking going on..

http://www.stoppressimages.com/Monde...20%20Large.wmv

Comment

• From the 1:29 lap time. I can tell you run a short track. If your not running brake cooling I can see how the pads dont have enough time to recover. How is your bias between front and rear? Are your rear brakes working hard enough for you? Can you feel the rear end act like a boat anchor and help with braking? Your brake points look great, your shifts are smooth. I would suggest on the large sweeper entry, try to left foot soft drag (to initiate a little assist to turn in) as you continue to increase speed instead of quick brake at entry. If you are having any initial low pedal at breaking points. Try giving the pedal a quick couple of soft left foot pedal stabs at full throttle before entering a braking zone. You'll have a much better firmer pedal. Remember slow in fast out. You dont always have to reach the very last minuette of the brake zone and jam hard on the brakes to make a corner. You can enter a little slower, use a little less brake and carry more avg. speed through a corner and work real hard on squaring up your corners to get the best exit speed.
                              Other than that, looks like your having fun and doing it right.

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback Stacey. The track is only 2 miles long and very twisty so not very long straights. The rear brakes are working well as the rear pads wear out just as fast as the front ones and I can feel the braking effort from the rear. The brake pedal feels good all of the time and those pads give great bite. I'm running Red Dot 20 groove disks.
                                I'll give some of your techniques a go. BTW, I'm not a race drive, just having fun at track days. The video clip is not quite a full lap, normally a full lap is 2.09.

Piers

Comment

Working...
                                X