Brake Master Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Master Cylinder

So today i put in the 2010 mazda 6 brakes and the brake pedal has much free play (i need to push it more than half before it engages). I think that the stock brake master cylinder isn't cut out for the job. Is there some easy upgrade or mod to improve the master cylinder? What do you recommend?

Sounds like you need to bleed the brake's some more.
    PaTricK
    ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

When I did my Mazda 6 brakes, I flushed out all the old fluid...and I had much better pedal feel...almost too touchy, 'till I got used to it.....MUCH better braking power now

I think you still have air in the system causing a soft pedal feel.
      1993 Black Probe GT Sensei Body Kit, M3 Mirrors, APC Wing, Custom Green LED interior lights.
      1977 Datsun 620 Truck Built Chevy 350 V-8, TH350, 4.88 gears, and custom 80's paint. Passes everything except the gas station.

Comment

ive have the same issue (pre mazda 6 brakes) ive been thinking its the booster too as ive bled my brakes 3 times (used about 2l of brake fluid) and its still not any better, ive even engaged the ABS diagnostics to hopefully pass any old air/fluid out and then manually engaged them by locking the wheels up on gravel. nothing seems to work IMO.
        Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
        Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
        Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

Ok. I'll try bleeding the brakes once more. Should i replace the brake oil with new? I replaced it last year. Any tips on bleeding the brakes? And most important, whats the capacity of brake oil(how much is in the car? eg. engine oil is 4.6l according to pp.com)?

Comment

If the system was totally dry, It might have 1L in it. Being that its not, you wont even go through half of that.
            PaTricK

Comment

Originally posted by KnezicDex View Post
              Any tips on bleeding the brakes?
              Buy one of those tubes with a one way valve
              Saves so much time and cost bugger all from a parts store
              Doesn't need to be the fancy "gun style" pumps, just a simple clear tube, 8" long with the valve, then another 8" to a bottle
              Contrary to popular opinion, I do have mechanical sympathy, I always feel sorry for the cars I drive.

Comment

I have a chunk of 1/4 inch clear tube thats like a foot and a half long. Then a Mountain dew bottle with a hole drilled in the cap that the hose goes through.

I just put the hose over the brake bleeder. and the other end of the hose stays under the fluid level in the bottle. Total cost, Not a cent.

Ive been using the same exact bottle and hose for over a decade. Many members cars on this very forum have had there brakes bled through that very bottle.
                PaTricK

Comment

How to know if my brake master cylinder is dying?
                  I tested my brakes and my rear brakes hardly brake and you need to floor the brake pedal.

Comment

When you say that you installed the Mazda 6 brakes, does that include the calipers?

If so, are the pistons in the Mazda 6 calipers the same size as the Probe's?

If not, you'll need to change the size of your master cylinder.

Comment

I spoke too soon. The more i drive the better the brake feel is. Very happy with the new brake kit from the 6.
                      I'm worried about my rear brakes, they are very very weak. Pads are almost new, disc sucks but i cant believe the braking is so weak because of the discs... Maybe the mc cant pump enough oil to the back or the lines are bad.

Comment

For better feel try using a master cylinder from a 1993 Mazda 929, it has a larger bore and looks like it will fit like stock but you will need to change one line to a flare fitting. I am going to try this on mine and I know the rx7 guys have been doing it and they have the same size of master cylinder as ours.
                        1989 pgt: 13.6@111mph slow car
                        1990 pgt: fast car

Comment

When you do it, let me know if it fits. Would gladly upgrade the mc!

Comment

Working...
                          X