Lowering springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering springs?

I'm bringing a 1996 Probe GT back from the dead to run in my local Auto X.
    Being a 96' it has the 4x4 style ride height. I'm wondering if there are any lowering springs still available for the car?

I'm trying to run in H-stock so I don't want to drop it to the ground or anything. Just enough of a drop so that it sits about where a stock 93' would sit or just a bit lower. Even stock 93' springs would be great.

The rules aren't strictly enforced here, so I could get away with a minor drop as long as it's not too obvious. Coil-overs would be a no go.

I'm running the Sachs super touring struts, so I don't want to put a spring on that those struts can't handle.

Any help sourcing this stuff is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Silver93GT View Post
    I'm bringing a 1996 Probe GT back from the dead to run in my local Auto X.
    Being a 96' it has the 4x4 style ride height. I'm wondering if there are any lowering springs still available for the car?

I'm trying to run in H-stock so I don't want to drop it to the ground or anything. Just enough of a drop so that it sits about where a stock 93' would sit or just a bit lower. Even stock 93' springs would be great.

The rules aren't strictly enforced here, so I could get away with a minor drop as long as it's not too obvious. Coil-overs would be a no go.

I'm running the Sachs super touring struts, so I don't want to put a spring on that those struts can't handle.

Any help sourcing this stuff is greatly appreciated.
    From what I have seen there aren't too many brands out there anymore. Maybe Ksport? I had a set of their springs on my old Orchid and it set it off nicely. I sold a set of M2 springs I got from a friend for my old protege and another buddy put them on his PSE and it literally made it sit like an old school muscle car. So watch out. I think Eibach are discontinued. My current probe had them on it and they weren't too bad. I think I can get you some Tein S. Tech springs but would take a few weeks.
    1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come
    Stage 3 Audi S4 pushing about 425awhp

Comment

Ya, I haven't had much luck trying to source the Eibachs. They would be my preferred brand. Some places list the H&R springs, but when I contact them they realize that they are out of stock.

Thanks for the advice. The search will continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver93GT View Post
        Ya, I haven't had much luck trying to source the Eibachs. They would be my preferred brand. Some places list the H&R springs, but when I contact them they realize that they are out of stock.

Thanks for the advice. The search will continue.
        I contacted Eibach and they are discontinued and I believe the same goes for H&R
        1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come

Comment

I have the Tein S-Techs on mine, they lower 1.5". With stock size wheels & tires, it'd be good for your app, imo. They're dual rate springs as well. Watch out on E-Bay though. lotta fake green springs on there.

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

Comment

Originally posted by unionrdr View Post
            I have the Tein S-Techs on mine, they lower 1.5". With stock size wheels & tires, it'd be good for your app, imo. They're dual rate springs as well. Watch out on E-Bay though. lotta fake green springs on there.
            I have Tein Coilovers on my car, not sure how I feel about them lol. I have debated on going with regular springs, but it's in the air.

Comment

I use Tokico blues with mine shod with Sumitomo HTRZ's. 225/45/17's on Kosie KS-1's. It could corner harder than the average driver would have the nerve to push it. And the Porterfield R4S semi metallic pads/shoes are great! It takes a couple blocks for them to heat up, but when they do, they really work well. They like being hot, it seems, as they never did fade on me.

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Coilovers will likely push you up to a faster class.

You can still find Megan Racing lowering springs for the '93 - '97 MX-6. These mated with a new set of Sachs Super Touring struts (check RockAuto) work really well.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...psqaxb3olt.jpg

I've run that setup on my 626 race car for 3-4 years now. Coupled with a '00+ 626 rear sway bar it seriously reduces body sway and generally stiffens things up. The springs are not crazy stiff so there is still a little body roll. But, they are light enough that the OEM style Sachs struts still dampen effectively.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps82d10bbd.jpg

Replace upper strut mounts, front control arms/ball joints, and tie-rod ends while you have it torn down. It will feel factory fresh and stiffer than ever.
                  JoBo Racing: https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing
                  '93 Mazda 626
                  '94 Ford Probe SE

Comment

Originally posted by unionrdr View Post
                    I use Tokico blues with mine shod with Sumitomo HTRZ's. 225/45/17's on Kosie KS-1's. It could corner harder than the average driver would have the nerve to push it. And the Porterfield R4S semi metallic pads/shoes are great! It takes a couple blocks for them to heat up, but when they do, they really work well. They like being hot, it seems, as they never did fade on me.
                    I highly recommend Hawk HP+ pads for autocross and track weekends. Their cold friction is unmatched (no need to heat them up) and they wont fade even on a open track day. If you are only driving on the street, Hawk HPS pads will be a lot quieter.
                    JoBo Racing: https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing
                    '93 Mazda 626
                    '94 Ford Probe SE

Comment

i just lowerd my PGT, i bought shock absorbers and bearings for 626, and a set of lowering springs for 626 (40mm) and my car is now higher in the back now, than it was with the sloppy stock shocks.
                      Its worth mentioning, the new shocks is gas, not oil ones.

Pic with new setup:
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psv5c9qagj.jpg
                      Rear:
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psodboiuff.jpg
                      Front:
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...psqkjweuma.jpg
                      * 1996 Ford Probe 2.5 24v

“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
                      ― Jeremy

Comment

Sometimes they can take a few days to settle on a new car, I ran the Tokico Blues and Eibach Pro springs (which I still have) and the springs took like 3 days to settle.

I'm going back to the Tokicos and doing a mild build on my suspension, that's what I remember happening to mine, the rears settled after the fronts
                        PhotoPOC(tm)
                        MM9 MMX FF FF2 FF3 FF4 FF5
                        93' PGT not stock
                        91' PLX MTX stock

95' Jaguar XJR 155mph La-z-boy recliner

Comment

My coilovers even take time to settle if the car has been on a lift or jacked up lol

Comment

Working...
                          X