No announcement yet.

A couple questions on LEDA suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I notice you said you have 8" 275 in front and that you thought they were binding often.....could that be because you're not using bumpstops? Bumpstops would help prevent the spring from compressing as much. Greg was running 8" 300 Ground Controls with bumpstops and he never had that kind of problem

Comment

I'm sure that's a factor in it, yes. The LEDA guys told me I was supposed to re-use the stock bump stops but it didn't look like they fit on the strut shaft. But also, just watching the car at rest vs on a lift, I see the front springs naturally compress way more than the rear. There's practically no compression remaining, to begin with... Very likely the springs got trashed over time because of the lack of bump stops.
      -- Howard Chu Chief Architect, Symas Corp. Director, Highland Sun
      17x8" BBS RC/Leda 24-way adj. coilovers/Hye-Dra-Cyl Big Brakes: Wilwood 4-piston calipers+12.2x1.25" rotors/RRE FSTB/Top-End Racing FW/MazdaSpeed-Quaife LSD/65mm TB/Autophysics CAI/Groundz/Bi-Xenon HID headlamps/Euro Clear-corners+amber LEDs/Blazer amber fogs/JVC KDMX3000+CHX1200/Pioneer 6x9s/BCT7 Scanner/etc...

Comment

wow those are really cool

hey , what would you say to 275 fronts and 300's rear???

do you think they would be really harsh or pretty decent for daily driveing?? not only that but what about handleing?? how mush of a differance did you notice??

thanks howard

l8ta,

Keith~

Comment

Originally posted by Hans[93GT]

If it doens't have a D-shaped shaft, how does the mount hold it tight enough to prevent it from turning when you steer? That's the whole purpose of the factory D-shape. BTW nice to hear from you again!
          Sorry I never took pictures of this before. With the LEDA strut there's a hex (Allen wrench) cutout in the shaft top to hold it in place while you're tightening it down. I'll add some pix of this to my web site. (Of course, with the camber plates now instead of the stock strut top.)
          17x8" BBS RC/Leda 24-way adj. coilovers/Hye-Dra-Cyl Big Brakes: Wilwood 4-piston calipers+12.2x1.25" rotors/RRE FSTB/Top-End Racing FW/MazdaSpeed-Quaife LSD/65mm TB/Autophysics CAI/Groundz/Bi-Xenon HID headlamps/Euro Clear-corners+amber LEDs/Blazer amber fogs/JVC KDMX3000+CHX1200/Pioneer 6x9s/BCT7 Scanner/etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Hans[93GT]
            I notice you said you have 8" 275 in front and that you thought they were binding often.....could that be because you're not using bumpstops? Bumpstops would help prevent the spring from compressing as much. Greg was running 8" 300 Ground Controls with bumpstops and he never had that kind of problem
            It turns out bump stops would never have made any difference. I had already raised the front back to stock height, to avoid bottoming out the struts, so with the spring fully compressed, the strut top would still have been too far to touch the bump stops.

8" 375lb front is the way to go, the ride isn't noticably harsher over mild bumps and there's no longer any jarring coil bind over bigger bumps. The rears were ok at 9" 225 but I just upped them to 9" 250. I think that should alleviate any understeer tendencies that the stiffer front might have caused, the rear is definitely very live with the 250s. I have a lot of adjusting to do to dial things back into a comfortable zone.

Comment

If you put a coilover at its lowest setting, it will be less likely to coil-bind, but more likely to hit the foam bumpstop. But if you RAISE the coilover, the opposite happens.....now you are MORE likely to coil-bind, but less likely to hit the bumpstops.

Comment

Considering that I had no bumpstops at all, I think raising was the right thing to do. But now I can mess around without worrying...

Comment

Working...
                X