Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thread about Cross-pollinating other car's car parts that work on the Probe..........

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US vs. EURO Spec

Originally posted by MonoxideChild View Post
    ^
    the Xedos is a millenia.
    But correct me if I'm wrong: the US only has two versions of Millenia. The 2.5 v6 and the 2.3 v6 supercharged. Here (in Europe) they have the 2.0 v6. Wondering about the top end of the engine is all. I'll try and find some time this week after work to go tear it apart at a local junkyard to see what's the big idea inside her
    1995 Ford Probe GT, black - Garrett GT3076-R @ 11.2psi. ~321ish whp/303ish wtq @ 19-20○ ignition, DIYPNP MS2/extra, etc. -parted & junked
    1995 Ford Probe GT, black - MS3-Pro Ultimate, bone stock-ish, daily driver)

Comment

• yup. i was just referring to the body itself. no 2.0 v6 came in any mazda in the states. we never got the KF motor. just the KL and K8's. i think even the mx6 and 626's had the 2.0 optioned in other states.

the great thing about the KF is they have a lighter flywheel then even the K8 one that everyone here drolls over. its like 3 pounds lighter then the K8 flywheel.
      Last edited by MonoxideChild; December 19, 2010, 09:41 PM.
      PaTricK
      ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

• GM part number 15149708 is a great replacement for the stock trim retainers on the interior. GM uses them on their fender liners on pickups and a few other applications as well. The only downside is they only come in black.
        1997 Ford Probe GTS "Optimus Probe" - SOLD - 2005 Impreza RS Wagon "Silverstreak" - 2006 Pontiac Solstice "Jazz" - 2017 Camaro turbo "BEEFOUR" - Cadillac 500 powered 1995 K1500 "Steve"

Comment

• Originally posted by MSDKLZE View Post
          I was just thinking the other day.... Everybody is so focused on finding a better MTX tranny for the probes & mx6's, but what about a better ATX tranny ?
          Which is the G5m or G6m ?
          For the V6 I personaly thik the Mazda sourced auto is decent, fwd autos are usualy garbage cause they are never built for performance or stregnth but soft shifts and economy. < both lead to high failure rates.

The most common complaint about the mazda trans though is less than gentle shifting at low throttle angles. Not the worst thing imo.

Now for the 2.0 motors built after 93 you guys got the oh so craptastic ford piece. Imo there is just no hope there. You could swap for a 92-93 trans as they were the same mazda trans as the V6 with an FS bell but the connestors and controls are different meaning a harness swap or lots of splicing.

There is also the millenia S trans. Seems beefier than the 2.5L trans but there is not much out there about it.

Originally posted by yellow2point0 View Post
          For all you European people (such as myself, currently stationed in Germany), I just found out that the 94 Mazda Xedos 2.0 v6 has the JE50 VAF (much like the KLZE). I have yet to find out what ECU it has. Will not be surprised if it is the KL31. Will also try and tear apart the engine and check out the cams.

It is a 2.0 V6 sedan. Looks almost identical to the US version of the Millenia.

QUESTION: anyone confirmed the Escape axles yet? If so, what year? What engine size? (they have the v6 and the I4) Any help greatly appreciated...since my axles are shot and I am in desperate need of new ones, why not go with a beefier upgrade?

The JE50 also comes on the V6 mx3 and last gen 929.

The KF is supposed to have better cams than the DE, I can say the K8 cams have about 1mm extra lift. Dont know duration lobe seperation etc but the power per liter and peaky power band both point to longer duration.

I made the calcs once and the K8 power translated to a 2.5 works out to something like 180 CHP vs 160 for the DE and 197 for the ZE.

I got an axle from GS-P and it is significantly beefier than stock, cost me about $25 new too.

Comment

• Fuel filters used on 2.4L Nissan's (ie: 93'-01' Altima's) are a direct fit for 1st gens. (ie: Fram G5237)

http://www.framcatalog.com/

Is this my 15th post yet? jebus
            92' PGT ...may she Rust in Peace.

Comment

• silicone valve cover gaskets

I believe 98 and up Mazda 626 KLG4 cars came with silicone valve cover gaskets. They do not need sealant to keep them from dribbling. I have not verified this but I have recently found the silicone gaskets on two different G4 cars. So either they were what was factory OEM or they got the silicone gaskets at a Ford/Mazda dealership service department? I don't know if I want to pay Ford prices for the gaskets only to find that they are the bake-n-crack variety. But I did score two sets for now!

http://www.xtremethings.com/Images/Silicone.jpg
              Last edited by KLZE Porsche; September 11, 2011, 07:07 AM.
              Success is a measure of determination!
              Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
              $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
              Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
              Restoration of a legend

Comment

• KLZE Porsche: Better gaskets is great news!! Can you post part numbers?

Thanks,

Joe
                95 PGT MTX. 1/4 million miles on original engine (and Original Owner).

Comment

• Those gaskets look like Fel-Pro gaskets I just got for my ZE. They do feel nice.

Comment

• Anyword on those escape axles.
                    I think it's an obsession!
                    http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/911982_1

Comment

• Results of Mazda Protege Calipers and Parking Brake Cable Info.

Hi, I just thought I would follow up on the Mazda Protege calipers I installed on my car to see if they would not be subject to the parking brake lever seizing up. I ordered Cardone calipers from RockAuto in April of last year:
                      A-1 CARDONE 19B2743 Caliper $ 77.79 $ 70.00 1 $ 147.79
                      A-1 CARDONE 19B2742 Caliper $ 77.79 $ 70.00 1 $ 147.79

By December of 2010, the left parking brake lever had seized up. As of today, the right one is still functioning, though on a side note (on the quality of Cardone) the spring has lost a lot of its tension.

I recently ordered a Beck/Arnley Protege caliper to replace the Cardone Protege left caliper whose parking brake lever had seized. After receiving it, I noticed that Beck/Arnley actually but some sort of hard grommet in the pivot axis between the parking brake lever and the caliper. I'm hoping this will help prevent moisture from getting in there and the problem from recurring. We shall see. Unforutately though, the boot on the caliper I received is leaking brake fluid pretty bad. I just had to order another one since RockAuto won't do an advance replacement.

As a side note, I had replaced both of my parking brake cables with Raybestos BC94444 and BC94445 and both of them have a seizing problem when it gets cold. The cheap rubber grommets that are supposed to prevent contaminants from getting in the the cables disintigrated in a few months as well. So avoid the Raybestos brake cables at all costs if you live anywhere in the snowbelt! I just ordered two Dorman C94495 cables, so we'll see how those ones work out. The one thing to note with the Dorman cables is that they only sell the right hand side, but don't let this fool you. The cables are the same for both sides, just that you need to take the two metal mounting hooks off and reverse them for the one you're going to put on the left side. The screws that hold the parking brake cable hooks on my car busted off, so I have stainless hoseclamp holding the cables to the car anyhow.
                      Last edited by snowdemon; December 29, 2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• I actually retrofitted my existing rear calipers, I drilled and tapped the end of the slide pin housing and installed a zerk/Alemite fitting. I didn't even have to remove the caliper from the car.
                        ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
                        ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
                        ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

• ive done that on a few of my cars it helps alot havnt done it on my pgt's yet just anti seized those so far ill probably do that when i do the brakes or do an upgrade
                          95 PGT white dd klze / mtx fidanza,maf swapped obx headers 2 1/2" mandrel bent 14.3 sec 1/4mile time
                          94 PGT blue toy de/ze/g4 hybrid/ mtx turbo 5- 10 psi maf swapped aem piggy back, fidanza mandrel bent exaust
                          93 PGT red klde/mtx klg4 intake,wild orchid interior
                          97&94&93 PGT gone
                          DALE

Comment

• CrossPollination?...hows about Hybrid?

Youse guys are F'in unbelievable!...and I thought I was wise buying MX6 parts....duh...Also thought it was something dropping OE Spectum struts in my Gen1 GT...rides tight anyway, though I sure do miss my PRC, even though I almost always kept it on Sport ;-)~Keep rockin' da Probe!
                            M
                            1stGen Red '89PGT mostly stock 2nd engine 178890 mi
                            No Probe...no problem.
                            '89 fire red Probe GT

Comment

• Compilation Part1

I've attempted to compile this as best as i can from the postings in this thread....

"Donated for 1G MX-6 applications (implied 1G Probe 626 where applicable)"

What: Compressor housing/Wheel
                              Donor Car: 87-88*Ford Thunderbird*Turbocoupe (Note, only applies to the IHI turbocharger equipped model)
                              Modification required: Adapter plate for compressor housing, plus a silicon reducer to mate it to the IC piping.
                              Why: Larger than the stock compressor housing/wheel, produces more power than stocker at same boost level.

What: Upper*Intercooler*pipe (charge pipe)
                              Donor Car: XX-XX Isuzu Impulse turbo
                              Modification required: Small section of metal tubing and rubber hose must be used to make the pipe reach the*throttle body
                              Why: Allows use of 5 dollar garbage disposal rubber boot rather than 90 dollar OEM TB boot.

What: 440cc Injectors
                              Donor Car: 87-92 Supra Turbo
                              Modification required: 88-89 will require 90+ injector clips. Controlling them effectively will require work
                              Why: More fuel for those who need it

What: 330cc Injectors
                              Donor Car: 90-92 MX6/Probe GT
                              Modification required: The injector clips will have to be changed over along with the injectors themselves.
                              Why: More fuel, won't need any type of management to make these run well.

What: Fuel filter
                              Donor Car: XX-XX*Isuzu Rodeo*(Part number- FRAM G7393)
                              Modification required: *None. Filter will "float" in the engine bay, leaving the coil bracket empty.
                              Why: Flows better than OE unit

What: Front struts/springs
                              Donor Car: 93-94 MX6*LS/Probe GT
                              Modification required: None. However, rears will not fit.
                              Why: Lowers car, allows more options as far as aftermarket products.

What: Rear strut tower*bar
                              Donor Car: 90+ MX6 GT
                              Modification required: *None. 88-89 GTs are missing this item, which can be found on the 90+ model.
                              Why: Improved handling.

What: Stainless steel clutch line
                              Donor Car: 93-97 MX6*LS/Probe GT
                              Modification required: None.
                              Why: Inexpensive mod, improves clutch feel, as line will no longer expand with pressure

What: Cupholders
                              Donor Car: 92-95*Ford Taurus
                              Modification required: *Requires open "bay" under*CD player
                              Why: The MX6/626 lacks cupholders, which some people find valuable. Not an upgrade per se, but a nice creature comfort.

What: Rear sway bar
                              Donor Car: 89-92 Probe GT
                              Modification required: None
                              Why: The 1G MX6 comes with a 16mm sway bar. The 18mm sway bar is stiffer, and said to improve handling

What: Inside Door Handles
                              Donor Car: 89(maybe earlier)-95 Mazda MPV
                              Why: The if you don't want*chrome door handles, the MPV handles come from the same mold, but are all one interior color.

What: Different dash switch
                              Donor Car: 88-91 Mazda 929
                              Why: If you want a different switch and you want it to look stock...
                              (I don't have a picture of this switch but I think its for heated mirrors or something luxury like that)

What: VAF, VAF adaptor Plate
                              Donor Car: Multiple Toyota models from 88-92
                              Modification required: I don't know if they use the same VAF or they just LOOK the same. I know the adapter plates are the same. 2 cars I've visually seen the same looking VAF are 88-92 Corolla, 88-89 (may go up to 93) Cellica Discussion
                              Why:
                              G35 Coupe
                              95PGT kinda stock
                              12 R6
                              14' Optima slow

Comment

• Compilation Part2

What: Shift Knob
                                Donor Car: Any*Mitsubishi*(I'm sure there are others)
                                Modification required:
                                Why: *I found a nice leather shift knob in the junkyard and for $15*on ebay.

What: Make the back of your car, on the trunk say "MX-6 GT"
                                Donor Car: Mitsubishi 3000GT*(I'm pretty sure any year will do)
                                Modification required:
                                Why: on the back of the 3000GT, just carefully peel of the GT and put them on your car.

What: Passenger Under-seat tray Slider drawer from 89-92 PGT replaces factor sub box.
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required: mounts in same location(for those who dont use that subbox due to aftermarket stereo) No drilling required, However it will not fit DX seats. You'll need both brackets and the drawer, thats it!
                                Why:

What: Aluminum rx-7 Scissor jack.
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required:
                                Why: For those who want to lose a few pounds but still have a jack, one weighs about 3-4lbs compared to the nearly 10 our stock one weighs, fits in the same spot, no modification required

What: Aluminum 16X5 5-lug Rx-7 Space saver
                                Donor Car: All rx-7 convert's,*87-91 rx-7*Turbo, and 89-90 rx7 GTUs<(not just GTU, has to be a GTU-s)
                                Modification required:
                                Why: Weighs alot less then our stupid tiny steel ones, looks alot better... Fits perfectly in the trunk

What: 89-91 Rx-7*Fuel pressure regulator
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required: use longer length of*fuel line*because outlet is shorter. Fits int he same flange, i noticed 2psi more basepressure
                                Why:

What: *2g pgt/mx6 LS KL*Spark plug wire*holders, the ones that mount on theintake manifold
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required: cut a little notch to fit the little nub on our valve covers.Holds the plugwires Up higher because bracket is horizontal, not almost vertical.
                                Why:

What: 3-4 Psi Pressure switch-gotta thank rebel2k4 for this one Switch turns on at 3-4psi, However with a boost controller inline with this switch, you can use it to turn on some extra injectors or N20 at any pressure above 4psi.
                                Donor Car: Old Volvo Turbo's, the Non intercooled ones. Switch is blue and yellow and located on the firewall in the middle near the valve cover.
                                Modification required: Self explanatory
                                Why:

What: 88-91 929*Master Cylinder*w/resivour.
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required: NONE, just make sure the lines are the right side, they'll differ depending on ABS or not(same as your car) you can just use the resivour if you trust yourself enough to get it out in 1 piece. I sat at the hub autozone store for an hour and tried 11 different*master cylinders, they all sorta fit, only the 929 fit perfectly(i had a*brake booster*sitting there to compare)
                                Why: its basically the same, except the resivour is alot larger and better shaped.

What: MX-3 Front Strut Mounts
                                Donor Car: MX-3
                                Why:

What: Mustang Fuel Pump
                                Donor Car: Mustang
                                Modification required:
                                Why:

What: 2nd Gen Clutch line
                                Donor Car: 2nd Gen PGT or MX6
                                Why: Interchangeable

What: 2nd Gen Frunt Upper Strut Mount
                                Modification required:
                                Why: lower drop

What: 2nd gen Probe A-pillar gauge pod
                                Modification required:
                                Why:

What: 1st Gen MX6 seats and 1st Gen Probe seats are interchangable
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required:
                                Why:

What: RX7*steering wheel*fits 1st gen Probe
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required:
                                Why:

What: *Mustang leather shift boot fits 1st gen Probe
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required:
                                Why:

What: 1st gen MX6 factory RSTB fits 1st gen Probe
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required:
                                Why:

What: 1st get MX6 factory lower tie bar fits 1st gen Probe
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required:
                                Why:

What: The front tie bar for an Isuzu Impulse Turbo will fit the lower*rear tie bar*brackets of a 1st gen MX6 or Probe.
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required:
                                Why:

What: ONLY 1996 Calipers will fit with*Subaru Legacy*2 pot calipers fit on the 1g with no modification. Just need to use the stock 1g caliper bracket and place the Subby caliper on the slider pins.
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required:
                                Why:

What: 95 Corolla's MAF
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required:
                                Why: http://forums.probetalk.com/showpost...&postcount=194

What: Stock late model (4th gen I believe) ford taurus/sable 3.0 exhaust manifolds are a better design than the 1st gen Probe 3.0 and fit directly. I believe they need a custom Y pipe though. Same goes for the Ford ranger/Mazda B3000 aftermarket headers.
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required:
                                Why: http://forums.probetalk.com/showpost...&postcount=214

What: For the 1st gen 2.2 motors you can use the rockers from the 8 valve engine to replace the stock rockers. The 8V ones are solid instead of hydraulic and can be reved higher. The centers need to be honed out and re-centered to fit the F2 rocker shaft though.
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required:
                                Why: http://forums.probetalk.com/showpost...&postcount=214

What: Fuel filters used on 2.4L Nissan's (ie: 93'-01' Altima's) are a direct fit for 1st gens. (ie: Fram G5237)
                                Donor Car:
                                Modification required:
                                Why: http://forums.probetalk.com/showpost...&postcount=245
                                G35 Coupe
                                95PGT kinda stock
                                12 R6
                                14' Optima slow

Comment

Working...
                                X