reliable sedan under 10k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reliable sedan under 10k

My wife's car took a crap this morning and we are just going to scrap it. Now we are looking st cars. We need a 4 door automatic transmission sedan that gets decent milage. I started the day looking at $4000 ford focus and finished the day nearly buying a 2003 BMW 325i for $8000. The budget just seems to keep growing. Anyway, I'd like to find something for around 8,000 that we can drive until the wheels fall off.

My wife wants a luxury car. I keep growing thinking that it must be a bad idea but can't figure out why. Anything wrong with a BMW 325i? How about an Audi a4?
    -Jimmy Forester

BMW is fine and relatively easy to work on. Maintenance schedule is not just a suggestion - follow it. Parts can be pricier. Cooling systems absolutely must be serviced according to OEM schedule, but overall strong performers, comfortable, German precision.

I would avoid at all costs Audi/VW variants (personal experience, yours may vary).

Mazda 6, fully loaded.

Honda Accords will go 250k miles routinely (350k+ well maintained).

Fully loaded Camrys might rival lightly loaded Lexi.....Lexuses?

In your price range, probably stay away from the Detroit offerings, although Ford seems to be ahead of the rest in the $10k range.

Read reviews, check the bulletin boards for common problems....and test drive. A lot.
    90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
    93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
    97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
    90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
      BMW is fine and relatively easy to work on. Maintenance schedule is not just a suggestion - follow it. Parts can be pricier. Cooling systems absolutely must be serviced according to OEM schedule, but overall strong performers, comfortable, German precision.

I would avoid at all costs Audi/VW variants (personal experience, yours may vary).

Mazda 6, fully loaded.

Honda Accords will go 250k miles routinely (350k+ well maintained).

Fully loaded Camrys might rival lightly loaded Lexi.....Lexuses?

In your price range, probably stay away from the Detroit offerings, although Ford seems to be ahead of the rest in the $10k range.

Read reviews, check the bulletin boards for common problems....and test drive. A lot.
      As always Dan is right on the money here.

BMW cooling systems are not fun to work on though, and he is right parts are pricey. You are paying for the luxury of owning a BMW basically.

I would add Kia, Hyundia, and Mistubishi to the stay away list, although I have had a number of higher end vehicles from each of those manufactures in my shop for basic maintenance, and they are still going with 150k+ miles. Just not my cup of tea.

I am partial to Toyota and Honda for reliability, and if I for some god awful reason was going to buy a new/newer car it would be one of those two. I wouldn't even bother looking at other dealers or brands. My money isn't worth the headache associated with owning anything else.

Just my 2cents .
      I've Been Probed.

Comment

The answer is usually German, and actually built in Germany, not as common as they will have you believe.
        As said above, do your maintenance and the reliability will follow - skimping here see's a world of pain, so you need to know the first owner/s did the right thing.

We are MB people, but BM can do the job as well, IMHO serious cars are really at the Eclass/5series space
        I run an old E Class (2008) for the past 5 years, had a W210 before that, my wife has a brand new CLA, previously had a CLC you can see the core engineering differences (but the new cars have nice toys like radar cruise, which is so impressive, so I will go to a W212 soon)

Japanese built cars (again actually from Japan) are also commendable
        Last edited by notso swift; August 21, 2014, 01:17 AM. Reason: Speeellling
        Contrary to popular opinion, I do have mechanical sympathy, I always feel sorry for the cars I drive.

Comment

How about Subaru's in that range?
          -Jimmy Forester

Comment

I bought a 2007 acura TSX a year ago and I love it, it had 105k miles when I got it and now 120k and I have nothing but good things to say about it.
            MX-6 DE-T // Parting out...

Comment

from what I've seen, hyundai and kia after 2002 are very reliable vehicles and usually easy to work on if something does go wrong. If you can handle the lack of performance, you can drive them into the ground pretty easily after a few hundred thousand miles.

The mazda platform vehicles in that price range are very nice and last a long while.

Camry's just suck for interiors...plus the transmissions suck too. Don't buy a camry.
              '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
              '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
              '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

Luxury, Reliability for a good price? Audi's are junk, and everyone I know with a BMW has had to put a lot of money into them. There are a lot of cheap sedans that you could get pretty decked out (leather, heated seats, sunroof, etc.) If i were to be in the market for something in that range, I'd be looking at a loaded Mazda 6 or a Subaru Legacy. MAYBE Accord or Camry because they are a little humdrum for my tastes.
                2012 Mustang 3.7 - 6 Speed 18'' American Muscle Wheels, Steeda Shifter, Rear Deck Lid Pony Delete Cover, Bama 93 Octane Tune. Steeda Intake, 3.55 Gears and FULL Bassani Exhaust on the way!!

2011 Mazda 3 -5 speed

1995 PGT MTX: K sported and rollin' on RX8 Wheels, CAI, Hotshot Headers and Greddy Exhaust. Tons of audio http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...E%20GT%201995/ *Traded*

The RED ROCKER:93 PGT MTX. *SOLD*

Comment

Originally posted by poissonn View Post
                  I bought a 2007 acura TSX a year ago and I love it, it had 105k miles when I got it and now 120k and I have nothing but good things to say about it.
                  This!!! I have a 04 acura tsx with 280,000 on the clock all i have ever done is oil changes and tires and it still doesn't need brakes!!! , awesome car nothing but great things and it seems you can get them fully loaded for under 10000 with nav, sat radio, and heated seats, and the oem hids have a hella sharp light cutoff. Ohh and it still gets 24 plus mpg.

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

ohh and yea avoid anything like a a4 with that 1.8t my wife has a vw beetle with the 1.8t nothing but probs.
                  http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/...GIFs/plane.gif

Comment

Just looked up some mercedes wiper blades for a fellow and they were only direct for 110.00 bucks a piece.
                    Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

How about this one?
                      http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4624292093.html
                      -Jimmy Forester

Comment

did you buy it? cause it's gone
                        '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
                        '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
                        '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

a friend of mine had a 07 subie legacy and had to put 4000 in repairs in one year. subies are prone to driveline issues with their all wheel drive system...its just more stuff to brake.

I just recently purchased a 07 mazdaspeed 3 and am loving it...great car. build quality is great and its a blast to drive.

if someone were to ask me i would say a regular mazda 3 is a really nice car, solid build quality and the hatch version is very versatile, much like the probe but with 2 more doors and a taller roof. great cars!
                          93 Silver Probe Gt ZE!!!, CarDomain lowered, 17" konig appeals, stainless steel equal length headers, 2.5" header back exhaust, rebuilt suspension, mazda6 brakes, rear drilled & sloted rotors,
                          2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited hard top 4X4, steel blue, 07 MazdaSpeed3 GrandTouring Edition

Comment

My Mazda6 has been awesome to me since its purchase back in 2006. If you want to spend less, how about a Millenia? Or even a 626.
                            PaTricK
                            ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

Avoid an ATX 626 at all costs mine blew with 120k on the clock and with the newest ones being manufactured over a decade ago you'll be hard pressed to find one with extremely low mileage.. That trans is a sad face. New mazda's are nice but nothing I'd consider "luxury". The best advice is what's already been said.. German luxury car = Germany luxury repair costs..

Comment

Working...
                              X