Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Build/Rebuild. Let's work together.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW: this is my favorite thread on PT right now.
    Greg Martin
    2009 BMW 328i
    2017 BMW X3
    1990 Probe LX

Comment

Originally posted by Bufalo

So it has more to do with ensuring that the cam and crank sprockets are on the *correct* teeth. Shaving the heads puts more slack... need less belt length...

Score.

Thanks!
      Bingo!

Think of an old streatched out timing belt and how the front cam timing mark won't line up perfect as it would with a new belt.

~Aaron
      ~Aaron~
      1993 Silver PGT MTX ~~R.I.P~5/7/14

Comment

But if we're only scraping off .03" or less from the deck of the heads, there's enough give and such in the system that things will still align as they should?
        Greg Martin
        2009 BMW 328i
        2017 BMW X3
        1990 Probe LX

Comment

With anything elss than 0.035" on a non interference engine it won't really matter.

~Aaron

Jeff, IMO the ceramic coating benifits more from heat disapation than from the ability to prevent carbon buildup.
          ~Aaron~

Comment

Just a thought, along with a ?

First it would be awesome if Silver or someone got the interprep guys to either:

A: Post to this thread thier experiances

B: Call them up and chat to see what info you can get

Now for my question.

Are bearing over sizes simply to account for wear or do they add something to the engine?

As for the

"The new studs for the rods should be a fairly stock item? Surprised you couldn't find any."

Jeff was refering to the the type of studs that are used. I forget but it has been mentioned before that the stock design doesnt allow for much tortional movement before failing and we need to use a different type.

Maybe Ill dig up the thread, cause im live Silver_Bullet and not that smart with this car stuff
            ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

Re: Just a thought, along with a ?

Originally posted by KaedenKy

Are bearing over sizes simply to account for wear or do they add something to the engine?
              Oversized bearings are only needed when the crankshaft must/has been turned. Turned to an undersize, .10, .20. The oversized ebarings are just thicker than the OEM ones.

Yes it would be nice to get Interpret's veiw on this and some inout.

~Aaron
              ~Aaron~

Comment

So long as we are not building them into interference engines (is the .055" number different for a ZE due to the non-dished pistons?),
                They should be the same, the dishes cut into the pistons for the valves are the same, but the kl03 pistons are dished out for lower compression, but the dish doesn't effect the material cut out for valve clearance. Hope that makes sense.

As for Interprep, Alistair is a super busy guy and doesn't spend alot of time on the net. All of the info that he has picked up on these motors was back in the mid to late 90's when we was building motors for MX-6 race teams. I don't think he is very willing to give out all the info that he has acquired. The other thing is, everyone calls him to ask questions but hardly ever give him any business. So why should he spend an hour out of his day telling you what you could or should do and then hang up and never talk to you again?
                Mike Evans
                92 MX-3 GS MTX 2.5L
                93 MX-3 GS SE MTX 1.8L

KL-DE/ZE, ZE ECU, KLZE pistons, Port/Polished DE heads, Stiffer Valve Springs, '96 Millenia Intake Manifold, 67mm TB, Clutchmasters Stage III, Fidanza Flywheel, and Walbro FP.

Comment

What does he charge?

How much of a premium is his work compared to others cost wise? Why doesnt he get buisness if we all respect him so much?

In all honesty if he will do anything for an engine build I would go to him first prolly flatlander second for the full build. I would rather have everything done at one company and have them source the parts i want so if anything goes wrong I dont get the run around.
                  ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoso142

So why should he spend an hour out of his day telling you what you could or should do and then hang up and never talk to you again?
                    Cost of doing business. Talking is your biggest advertisement. Sharing ideas is your second biggest.

I have had ppl take my quotes and proposals and become my competition, although soon I will start suing the crap out of them for it since I have been patenting some of it, but I digress. I hope this opens a few eyes on this board btw. You have been warned.

Anyway, both your banter and mine are OFF TOPIC.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by cyborgzero
                      Cost of doing business. Talking is your biggest advertisement. Sharing ideas is your second biggest.

I have had ppl take my quotes and proposals and become my competition, although soon I will start suing the crap out of them for it since I have been patenting some of it, but I digress. I hope this opens a few eyes on this board btw. You have been warned.

Anyway, both your banter and mine are OFF TOPIC.

Rob
                      Right, I'm not following at all. Please PM me if your remarks were made by anything I said.

Anyway, Interprep does great work but he'll tell you he's not cheap. People say You get what you pay for and trust me, your paying for his knowledge and the great work he does. I haven't been disappointed at all.

KaedenKy, Interprep is a performance shop, Flatlander sells parts, from what I know they don't do any engine work.
                      Mike Evans
                      92 MX-3 GS MTX 2.5L
                      93 MX-3 GS SE MTX 1.8L

KL-DE/ZE, ZE ECU, KLZE pistons, Port/Polished DE heads, Stiffer Valve Springs, '96 Millenia Intake Manifold, 67mm TB, Clutchmasters Stage III, Fidanza Flywheel, and Walbro FP.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoso142
                        Flatlander sells parts, from what I know they don't do any engine work.

Actually, Flatlander does a *lot* of building and machining. They probably do more service and such than they do part sales.
                        Greg Martin
                        2009 BMW 328i
                        2017 BMW X3
                        1990 Probe LX

Comment

Actually, Flatlander does a *lot* of building and machining. They probably do more service and such than they do part sales.
                          Thanks Greg, I was unaware.
                          Mike Evans
                          92 MX-3 GS MTX 2.5L
                          93 MX-3 GS SE MTX 1.8L

Comment

FWIW: I lied, the ZE pistons from Cork will not come with rings. My bad.
                            Greg Martin
                            2009 BMW 328i
                            2017 BMW X3
                            1990 Probe LX

Comment

I'll dig up and post the picture of the retainer when I get home from work tonight.

It was literally sheared exactly in half. I found the two pieces still in place between the HLA and the valve spring. A harder retainer is what's needed.
                              Greg Martin
                              2009 BMW 328i
                              2017 BMW X3
                              1990 Probe LX

Comment

another pic of the same thing
                                Greg Martin
                                2009 BMW 328i
                                2017 BMW X3
                                1990 Probe LX

Comment

Working...