Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Build/Rebuild. Let's work together.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright...

This thread really needs a jump start.

Ive been thinking about it and have decided how I want to go with a build, so far im sourcing 03 parts to build up.

With I would love to see some discussion on how to make some more power.

Ive heard that all the power is made in the heads. Well besides porting, maybe some coating and cam profiles...what can I do to get some power out of this build. I know with mikes cams Valve springs wont do anything since Im not reving that high and I wont be hitting a valve float level. Otherwise how can I see gains from the heads?

As for the bottom end. I am going with a flatlander kit and cleaning up the stock rods. Can i specify compression ratios to flatlander or do I need to go through another source?

With the compression I know I am going at least 10 to 1, but what about 11 to 1. Would the cams take car of the low end pressure enough that I Wouldnt need a timing retard...and fueling would I need to pump fuel pressure to allow for this or would it make more power simply on stock fueling? Really its not a more air mod...so you wouldnt need more fuel.

Lastly I see nomadgamer has heads he has ported to ze spec...what would I need to give to a shop to have them port my heads this way. I think it would be awesome to just port some 03 heads out like this.

Intake manifold....anyone have suggestions for this? Personally I think I would just put some phenos on port match them to the head then port match the IM to the Phenos....
    ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

Stock Rod bolt info

overall length - 56.5mm

threads:
      length - 15.5mm
      diameter - 8.5mm
      pitch - .75mm

neck:
      length - 25mm
      diameter - 7.5mm
      radius to stay area - 2.5mm aprox.

stay area:
      length - 7.5mm
      dia- 8.5mm

head pressure disk area:
      L- 3mm
      D- 15mm

bolt head:
      L- 5.5mm
      D - 11mm
      12 points

All lengths except the overall length are subject to slight error, BUT, with the lengths as they are, any bolt with these dimensions should fit just fine and fall within spec.

So, I guess we need someone to start cross referencing new bolts..

It LOOKS like the holes in the con rods could EASILY be retapped to accept more standard 9mm thread bolts without even having to redrill!

There are PLENTY of apps with 9mm bolts, everything from Honda to Mitsu to VW..

But there is no doubt that 8.5mm .75 pitch bolts are not the most standard thing out there.

I am having trouble even finding a tap that will do that thread pitch and size.

Rob

Comment

Ok, update on my job. I'm starting now to make plans to move ahead around the end of next week on my engine project. I do need a little feedback on some final things before I finalize the job.

What's definitely planned for performance:

Head porting
        Cam regrinding through Mike (Mike I will PM you about making arrangements for this)

For Maintenance/repair:

Timing belt/water pump (75k on engine)
        EGR system
        A/C system

Items I need feedback on:

High performance oil pump, yay or nay? For small $$ I'm inclined to say yay if I get an oil pump as part of the rebuild kit.
        Knife edging of the crankshaft?
        Block boring?
        Custom pistons?

I've decided against titanium retainers already. Money is *somewhat* of an issue. For the job I think I am looking at about $4k and can go up to $5k if necessary but don't want to if I don't have to.

Im also looking at downtime of upwards of a month which sucks, but at least for a week I will be away, maybe rent a car for a couple weeks (it IS summertime) or ride my bike to the train station.
        Cobra Commander was robbed. He should have been our 44th president.
        http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2463

Comment

stainless steel retainers should be enough.. IIRC the retainers are currently mild steel, so stainless would be a decent upgrade at a reasonable price.

Titanium is definitely overkill for any of our apps.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by cyborgzero
            stainless steel retainers should be enough.. IIRC the retainers are currently mild steel, so stainless would be a decent upgrade at a reasonable price.

Titanium is definitely overkill for any of our apps.

Rob
            Do I even need stainless ones?

Comment

If Olistair says the retainers are weak and Greg had had one of his sheared in half already, then that's enough evidence for me to be cautious.

Comment

I would say stainless retainers would be about as strong as you would need, and it is prlly a quarter of the cost of titanium retainers.

Comment

Promise:

Split Retainer + Envelope = In mail tomorrow.
                  Greg Martin
                  2009 BMW 328i
                  2017 BMW X3
                  1990 Probe LX

Comment

Still waiting for feedback on block boring, crankshaft knife edging, and hey thoughts on rockers, valves, springs,etc. wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

I'm definitely doing an overbore when I rebuild my engine. CorkSport can source factory-overbore ZE pistons for the application. According to the emails I've received from CS, they are available in std, +.020", and +.040" bore sizes. Kinda strange for a japanese-market part to go by English measure, but I'm going by what they say. I'm going to make sure that I have the pistons in hand before I have the block bored. I'd hate to have it be incorrect. I've heard from another source that they are made in std, +.25mm and +.5mm sizes.

Until I have them in hand, I'm not making any statements for definite.
                      Greg Martin
                      2009 BMW 328i
                      2017 BMW X3
                      1990 Probe LX

Comment

I am planning on overboring as well with Flatland. I don't know what the size will be, but they are planning on making/acquiring custom pistons based on how much boring they do. I think I am going to pass on the crankshaft knife edging. As much as I am a fan of lightened rotational mass (as I have a UDP and 9lb flywheel), I am not convinced there is enough mass on our crankshaft and quite frankly, I don't want to be the first person to be a guinea pig on too many internal mods. Hell I'd love to make my GT the Probe equivalent of the Knight Industries Two Thousand (kudos to anyone who knows what I just referred to), but I can't spend that kind of money and even if I could, I wouldn't without more R&D of the application to our engine.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilDave
                          Knight Industries Two Thousand

If my car ever talks to me, it had damn well not be in some faggy british accent.

I'd prefer a female with a soft touch of the south in her voice to vocalize my car's AI.
                          Greg Martin
                          2009 BMW 328i
                          2017 BMW X3
                          1990 Probe LX

Comment

Originally posted by Bufalo
                            If my car ever talks to me, it had damn well not be in some faggy british accent.
                            Did you know the actor who did the voiceover also at the same time was playing a doctor on St. Elsewhere?

I'd prefer a female with a soft touch of the south in her voice to vocalize my car's AI.
                            I had the displeasure once of having met a woman who had such a voice. She also worked using that voice at, you guessed it, a phone sex service. Not only that, she drove an 89 Probe Gt. Now guys don't get worked up, when she drove that car, it hugged the ground and it wasn't because it had a lowering kit in there.....

Comment

Knifeedge crankshaft = no. I can't remember why but I am certain I have seen something where it is not a good idea for street applications.
                              Former owner of a '95 PGT KLZE with many mods. Current owner of a 2002 Protege ES. "It's better to have never loved, than to have loved and lost"

Comment

knife edging

Knife edging is pointless unless you rebuild and tear down your engines after drag runs. The edges wear down really fast and really is just money wasted
                                ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

Working...
                                X