Difference between ZE & DE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey guys

KLDE here stock right now but working on it. Currently am looking for a KLG4 IM, once I figure out how the TB works with it.

I would prefer the KLZE because its easier to get the power on it, but am willing to wait til I can find one salvage.
    Jeff - 94 Probe GT - 2nd owner - Stock but just getting started, but limited budget
    Todo:HEI mod asap/Install my Injen cold air intake, valve cover gaskets, possibly head gasket
    Planned:G4 IM/Bored TB/High flow cat/Cat back exhaust/17 or 18 inch rims /Mazdaspeed rotors and brakes front/Protege brakes back with e-brake (MTX here)/Sleepy mod/Sensei Body Kit w/hood/Someday would like to switch to ZE

Comment

Originally posted by 94PrbGT_Hou View Post
      hey guys

KLDE here stock right now but working on it. Currently am looking for a KLG4 IM, once I figure out how the TB works with it.

I would prefer the KLZE because its easier to get the power on it, but am willing to wait til I can find one salvage.

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701291060
      1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
      1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
      2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
      2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
      1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
        Matt,

again -there is much more to than that. If you put a chipped ECU into a ZE that allows you to go to 8k RPM then how long will your engine be good for above 7k RPM? That is the danger zone for a ZE because of springs and retainers. And that is what I believe Dave24v was trying to point out at one point. ZE's are not much good at top end if you float valves. So a ZE with high flowing potential and with stock springs/retainers is like sex in the hood without a condom.

P.S. Is it me or are you hacking people excessively lately? I don't remember you being this way during all of our long talks about KL stuff.
        MIke that is the point. You don't need to go to 8k rpms to make power with a ze you just don't. The majority of the ze making 180whp and above were doing it in the 6500 rpm range.

My point was the original poster if you look at the first post was showing a video about a stock de with boltons racing a stock ze with boltons. The beginning of the thread started out about how much more power a STOCK ZE makes over a STOCK de. Then someone said that raced a "built" ze with a built de. Then we start talking about how much better a de is etc etc...

Then we find out that the guy didn't race a "built" ze but a ze with boltons and he had a worked de. So obviously the results are going to be scewed.

The whole point of this thread to begin with (and the OP can correct me if I'm wrong) was to show how much more power a stock ze makes over a stock de. Thats all. This thread got extremely confusing after that and I among a few others was trying to clear it up before it became dribble. I'm not "hacking" on anyone, however, I frequent the cobalt forums and the dribble that happens on each and every one of their threads because someone went off on a tangent is just frustrating. Especially when you are trying to find out information!
        mods: Custom intake manifold, Water to Air Intercooler, jands safeguard, pacesetter headers, borlacatback, EATON M62 SUPERCHARGER,millenia s injectors, megasquirt, mx3 fly,ngk wires, Built engine with ze heads and cams,electric exhaust cutout, methanol injection, quaife lsd, and 9-10 psi.
        Old 160k mile engine dyno result: 245whp 227 ftlbs tq best de 1/4: 13.80 at 103.28mph with a 60' of 2.170 on 6psi. GONNA BE QUICKER SOON!

Comment

this argument definitely varies from car to car, mod to mod, build to build.

When I swapped in my ZE, I stayed 100% dead even, and was even slowly walked by my buddies(static2k4) mx6 DE with intake/headers/exhaust.

Once I put the chip in the ZE and opened up the exhaust (2.5"+cutout), my probe became an entirely new car.

So it varies. DE and ZE's can put out the same amount of power or so, if the DE is done right, and the ZE is not.

But most of the time
          (for those of you who do not own, or have ever raced/driven a ZE swapped car)
          the ZE will beat the DE
          93GT. Black/Slammed.
          All Motor Straight Neck ZE Swap.
          MAF Swap.
          All Bolt On's.

Comment

Working...
          X