FrankenProbe work log, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hahahahahah and im sure he would like "king" bolded also
    Jacob--"Pain must exist in order for healing to survive.
    Neither one will ever serve their purpose alone"
    ..Black sheep, August Burns Red.
    94' Pgt- kitted and lowered. ebiach coilovers, CIA, headers, Hi-flo cat, ACT stage 2 6 puck sprung clutch....much more and who knows whats next

Comment

• Well I could sell the F250, but that would mean I'd have to tow the race car with the 323

(or rent a truck for race weekends @ $120 a pop, which is not bad considering the limited play time the car will see)
      90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
      93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
      97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
      90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

• why such little play time?? i mean if iam spending lots of blood swet and $$ i would be doing that shit at least every other weekend.if it runs

but if its broken, let it be broken and fix it later
        black 94 probe gt-on 5lbs boost - t3/t4 50trim dynoed at 210hp & 194 tq on fmu

Comment

• There aren't that many events, and it costs a bunch to get the car running. Race gas is $65 for 5 gallons, entry fees for test & tune are $50 per session (race weekends are $75), there is a lot of expensive synthetic oil that needs changing, there is fuel for the tow rig, a meal or two at the track, hydrating fluids, plus things that break.

I could easily spend almost $200 per weekend just taking it out.

I'm also a one-man operation - that means making sure the car is ready in the morning, warming it up, checking everything over (leaks, squeaks, loose things), hitching the trailer, loading the car up on the trailer, strapping it down, loading up all the tools, log books, manuals, fuel and fluids, spare parts, jack and jackstands, etc.

Get to the track, prepare the rig, unstrap the car, unload the car, warm it up, run the final checklist items, get it through tech, changing into the fire suit, making sure all my safety gear is in the car, getting the tire pressures right, keeping the tire pressure gauge in the car...and then lining up and racing.

And after each pass, reviewing the logs, checking the car over, doing timeslip analysis (where I lost time, where I made up time, where the powerband needs work, where the boost levels need adjustment, etc).

And at the end of a long day, then putting everything back in the truck, reloading the car, and driving home....where work still is not done, and I spend on average 1.5 hours AFTER I get home making sure everything is unloaded properly and in its place, putting the trailer away,etc.

This doesn't include camera duties (photo or video).

So you can see that playing with this solo is pretty taxing. When it all goes right, it's fully worth it - as we know though, it's not really gone right most of the time. But, I have my moments, and that's enough to keep me going at times.

It ain't easy being me
          90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
          93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
          97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

• Holy hell, you get raped on test and tune fees!
            '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
            '16 Chrysler 300S

Comment

• The regular 'wednesday night racing' stuff is $15. Anything faster than 11.0 can't run at that time (and it wouldn't matter anyway, track is dirty as hell, dozens of 'tards going through the water box with street tires, etc).

My Test & Tunes are Friday/Saturday when all the big boys come and play - I'm usually one of the slowest cars out there....ok, not really, but still there are more single digit cars than the others.

My favorite 'tards wednesday nights: take your stock Honda with the muffler missing (straight pipe), go into the burnout box (around the water box), then BACK UP YOUR HONDA until the rear tires GET IN THE WATER, then proceed to do a nasty, one legged burnout where every panel on the car is epileptically shaking.

Then proceed to leave 2 long wet tracks with your rolling rear tires out of the water box, clear across the entire burnout box and past the starting line. Absolute lunacy and ignorance at its finest. I presume they do this because they've seen the RWD cars doing it.

Second favorite retard - the RWD driver who does this whilst wearing 400-treadwear street tires....ughhh...
              Last edited by Dan [Sac]; September 27, 2010, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                The regular 'wednesday night racing' stuff is $15. Anything faster than 11.0 can't run at that time (and it wouldn't matter anyway, track is dirty as hell, dozens of 'tards going through the water box with street tires, etc).

My Test & Tunes are Friday/Saturday when all the big boys come and play - I'm usually one of the slowest cars out there....ok, not really, but still there are more single digit cars than the others.

My favorite 'tards wednesday nights: take your stock Honda with the muffler missing (straight pipe), go into the burnout box (around the water box), then BACK UP YOUR HONDA until the rear tires GET IN THE WATER, then proceed to do a nasty, one legged burnout where every panel on the car is epileptically shaking.

Then proceed to leave 2 long wet tracks with your rolling rear tires out of the water box, clear across the entire burnout box and past the starting line. Absolute lunacy and ignorance at its finest. I presume they do this because they've seen the RWD cars doing it.

Second favorite retard - the RWD driver who does this whilst wearing 400-treadwear street tires....ughhh...

Wow, you just summed up a Friday night at our track.

I have friends who STILL think that heating up street tires is a great way to cut 60' times. Then they wonder whe I go out in an H22 swapped civic, with DR's, roll the tires over in the water box, then pull up do a relatively small burnout and cut 1.9 or 1.8 short times.

People are seriously ridiculous.

Good luck with senior year, as well as the car dealings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                  There aren't that many events, and it costs a bunch to get the car running. Race gas is $65 for 5 gallons, entry fees for test & tune are $50 per session (race weekends are $75), there is a lot of expensive synthetic oil that needs changing, there is fuel for the tow rig, a meal or two at the track, hydrating fluids, plus things that break.

I could easily spend almost $200 per weekend just taking it out.

I'm also a one-man operation - that means making sure the car is ready in the morning, warming it up, checking everything over (leaks, squeaks, loose things), hitching the trailer, loading the car up on the trailer, strapping it down, loading up all the tools, log books, manuals, fuel and fluids, spare parts, jack and jackstands, etc.

Get to the track, prepare the rig, unstrap the car, unload the car, warm it up, run the final checklist items, get it through tech, changing into the fire suit, making sure all my safety gear is in the car, getting the tire pressures right, keeping the tire pressure gauge in the car...and then lining up and racing.

And after each pass, reviewing the logs, checking the car over, doing timeslip analysis (where I lost time, where I made up time, where the powerband needs work, where the boost levels need adjustment, etc).

And at the end of a long day, then putting everything back in the truck, reloading the car, and driving home....where work still is not done, and I spend on average 1.5 hours AFTER I get home making sure everything is unloaded properly and in its place, putting the trailer away,etc.

This doesn't include camera duties (photo or video).

So you can see that playing with this solo is pretty taxing. When it all goes right, it's fully worth it - as we know though, it's not really gone right most of the time. But, I have my moments, and that's enough to keep me going at times.

It ain't easy being me

I can vouch for every single ounce of this work, as I used to spend as many days as absolutely possible doing it with Dan. Even when it was a 2-man operation, it was STILL a seriously taxing day, and that's when the car was only running 12s, back when it was still essentially a street car and 'EASY' to get her through a track day. Now that the car has taken on a whole new level of performance, the work to do it all must be even more. Dan, man, I'd hate to see you set down the whole project now as you're so close to single digits. The way I look at it, VERY little of the money spent on the project would be recoverable (realistically, Probetalk is almost as bad as advertising on Craigslist) and frankly, you'll never be happy that you did it. I would just set it aside and leave it alone for a while. It doesn't cost you any money to cover it up and leave it in the garage.

Good luck either way man, and I'm sorry I'm not there to race/build the car with you anymore. Those were some of the best times! Although, if you want to ship it to Florida, we can finish it here and race it on a MUCH better track that is MUCH cheaper and easier to run at.
                  2014 BMW 328d Luxury Line- Mineral White/Saddle Brown Leather, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, car seats inside

2012 BMW X3 35i M Sport- Traded

2003 BMW 330i ZHP- Alpine White/Natural Brown Montana Leather, Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Certified Dinan Stage III, car seats inside

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- Totaled

Comment

• get urself some "sponsors" if that means going to sf and hooking in the tenderloin on fri nights.
                    NCPOC > BAPOC > SCPOC > FlaPOC > MIPOC

Comment

• Originally posted by Rayman View Post
                      get urself some "sponsors" if that means going to sf and hooking in the tenderloin on fri nights.
                      Can't do that after your reputation raised the bar there. I ain't willing to do the things YOU did for fundraising

Comment

• Dan man, it'd be a shame if you had to abandon this project...Although I completely understand your priorities. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
                        95 PGT MTX - Probezilla - Supercharged 'n Squirted ZE @ 8 psi
                        93 FD - LSx 7.0L - 11.6@128.5 (w/ old rotary setup)
                        89 DTM PGT - 49K ORIGINAL miles! - MINT! - Sold
                        04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake - 308AWHP/318AWTQ - Mustang Dyno
                        Probezilla & The FD 540 RWHP/415 RWTQ @ 24.5 psi (past rotary setup)

Comment

• Yeah, I think I will throw a tarp over it for now. It does seem harsh to suddenly stop when almost at the end, but sometimes choices become limited.

Comment

• mst be nice to be able to tarp a car and let it set. even setting on tarps and tarps over them they still seem to rust away around iowa setting hope everything works out or atlest hope im able to buy some parts if you do part it lol good luck man
                            http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2653387.png

Comment

• Dunno how much this would bring you but you could sell some of the custom one off parts youve made for it that you feel you could get more than they cost you in materials. Just to get some money now. Just keep your details info on how you made them, then later when you have other money you could make them again, maybe even with a couple improvements you wish you had done to them
                              96 PGT & 97 Prizobe put down in their prime, 96 PGT with minor bolt-ons :SOLD & MISSED:
                              95 PGT-ZE with more bolt-ons :SOLD for rwd fun:
                              71 Mach1 Mustang w/a 400 its Aliiiiiiiive!
                              02 allroad 2.7TT w/ 60k #because bags, Porsche brakes, Stg I Tune & Exhaust...just getting started

Comment

• Tarp it is for now. Actually a brand new car cover (love things on sale at MalWart - yeah, I support china, i know i'm a bad man).

It'll emerge again, when, I don't know.

Right now I'm fighting CARB to get the 323 certified, then sold, and then reassembling the '60 TBird that's been taking up space back there. I think I called it a 58 or 59 a few times, it's a 60 though.

Comment

Working...
                                X