No announcement yet.

FE3 RX-8 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if probes FE 2.0 exhaust port spacing is the same as 1.8BP(Miata) I'm thinking of using turbo manifold if the spacing is the same( probe has wider flange, which I need to change the hole pattern)

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
    Yes, in my mind they are better for swaps than Miata and cost the same or less.
    93 PGT Kitted and all -sold,
    Current 93 PGT-ZE-T So far: 12" brakes, ZE, T3/T4 turbo, 2.5" exhaust , ACT 6-puck, MSD6AL+2step, Coilovers, 245/45/17x9 cobra r, 67mm TB, MS II, traction bars, meth inj. and more.
    1980 Corvette Vortec 350 and side pipes

OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE LOSING

Comment

Nice!!Ive been waiting for somebody to do this swap!!
      93 Probe gt- ,15.37 1/4 mile at mph 85 ** 5/24/03 14.71 SOLD
      1994 gt -klze,I/h/e/fly/ignition/kl31 ecu,colt210/210 cams Rip 2/13/08(blackice)
      92 mx3gs,ze swap from my probe 15.0@96mph :-( 175hp&155tq
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396402

Comment

Test fitted center gauge pod

I also plan to run Android tablet to display TunerStudio.

Current 93 PGT-ZE-T So far: 12" brakes, ZE, T3/T4 turbo, 2.5" exhaust , ACT 6-puck, MSD6AL+2step, Coilovers, 245/45/17x9 cobra r, 67mm TB, MS II, traction bars, meth inj. and more.

Comment

My 550lb scales came in, so I weighted the long block and it was around 220lb

I also took off all of the oem cast steel brackets and they weighted around 40lb!
          I'm planning on making my own brackets for A/C and Alternator out of 1/4 aluminum.

Comment

Nice! Pretty light, I am curious about the total weight with flywheel, intake manifold, exhaust headers, and your pulley system. Keep us posted. Thanks

I am impressed with the Major weight loss 40 lbs. That is awesome
            Turbo'd by 2009...

Comment

Originally posted by dacycle2 View Post
              Nice! Pretty light, I am curious about the total weight with flywheel, intake manifold, exhaust headers, and your pulley system. Keep us posted. Thanks

I am impressed with the Major weight loss 40 lbs. That is awesome
              I'm toren up on the crank pulley issue, KIA pulley has V belt, 4 and 5 rib pulleys on the dampener, I need to use only 4 rib pulley and I also need to mout RX8 trigger wheel. Also Kia dampener runs into steering rack, I have RX8 4 rib pulley and trigger wheel but RX8 don't have a dampener on their pulley set up.

So Kia pulley
              PROS:
              - it fits
              - harmonic dampener
              CONS:
              - Runs into steering rack
              - has unnecessary pulleys = extra weight
              - needs a trigger wheel

Rx8 pulley with adapter
              Pros:
              - clears steering rack(no geometry change)
              - oem trigger wheel
              - light weight

Cons:
              No harmonic dampening

Comment

Post some pictures of the kia unit. I may have some Ideas for you because I had similar issues. Do not use the rx8 unit. To do this right stick with a harmonic damper.
                Turbo'd by 2009...

Comment

I looked at Fluidampr and they bring up a good point that OEM dampeners are tuned for a narrow band of frequency that changes if you mod the engine or increase load(boost). Fluidampr uses internal flywheel and fluid, that way the dampening occurres through fluid shear, therefore it works through full frequency range. Down side is that their dampener is over $500 and they don't have one for Mazda 4 cyl, one for DSM 4g63 looks like the closest adaptable option.

Kia uses 6 non symmetrical bolts to attach the pulley to the crank timing sprocket

http://images.apwcontent.com/is/imag...tImage=noimage
                  Last edited by artsvetkov; January 16, 2016, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Finally got the flanges cut.

There is some port mismatch on cyl 2 & 3, I just blended the edge.

Test fit

There are some issues that need to be worked out due to double flange like length of studs and turbo being too close to fuel lines.
                    Last edited by artsvetkov; January 30, 2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

That is an impressive project, good luck!

After owning the RX-8 a couple of years back I'm not opposed to picking one up again but... something needs to be done with the powerplant haha.

Hoping to see what this thing is capable of!

Comment

Seems relevant...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDnP_rWu89c&ab_channel=SupravsSkyline[/ame]
                        Ryan
                        '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
                        SMF Prep:
                        MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

Got civic header

It became good source of 304SS bends for my intake manifold

Comment

Fits in there pretty nicely. Progress is looking good.
                            95' AWD Mazda MX3
                            AWD conversion, fully built 1.6 Turbo motor, workign on BP turbo motor.
                            https://home.comcast.net/~josh95mx/

Comment

So I ended up chopping of the flange and getting another one cut, I picked up a $400 Harbor Fright TIG for this project. It's been a while since I TIG welded, so nothing to write home about. I used a separate Nitrogen tank to purge the manifold on the inside(China skipped this step and that's why they are prone to crack).

I also angled down the manifold 10* to offset the engine tilt. This gave me better clearance to fuel lines(see green clips).

Comment

Word of caution, tilting manifold down 10* brought my compressor housing too close to the engine block and water pump coolant intake. I won't be rewelding the manifold, I will just move the turbo forward by fabing up an up pipe.
                                Last edited by artsvetkov; April 28, 2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X