Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 74grabber View Post
    Got any pics?
    Not really. To be honest, it's kinda ugly. It was a quick fix that has worked out. The mx3 motor mounts/xmember are different than the probe. Both mounts are on the xmember. So my little stop for the xmember movement prevents the entire engine from moving. On a probe, I'm not sure it would work as well since the rear mount is still free to flex as the frount mount remains still.

Originally posted by WestPalmGT View Post
    you dont street race either thats a big part of you not busting trannys. you can argue all you want but you take it easy with your car. maybe your mount set up and beiing an mx3 makes a big differents when it comes to busting trannys idk. i dont think you have a specile set up or magic trans its luck and driver usage.
    Street racing is easier on the tranny than the track. That's common knowledge. If you add in all your street racing, you race more than I do, that's a given. I've done more than enough racing to break this tranny.

You're a much more abusive driver than I am. Engine braking is far worse on your drivetrain components than using the actual brakes. You do that all the time. Rev matching or not, (I've ridden in your car a million times) that's bad on your drivetrain. Also, your shifter is very notchy. I went back to my stock shifter and the shifts are very smooth. That may have something to do with it too. No slamming it into gear.

G series trannys are very weak. That's no secret, but I have one of the fastest times on probetalk and a stack of timeslips a mile high. There has to be a reason for that. Be it better driving technique or a magic clutch/tranny, I don't know. But my tranny still works. One day it will break, I have no doubt about that but it's been a good run for the past three years.
    Last edited by hppwdn; December 5, 2008, 12:18 PM.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
    HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
    Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
    As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Comment

where exactly does the flex happen and where does it break??? cause if its in a spot where theres open room and its always open......couldn't u weld a plate or somthing that still allows the rods to move but yet it will keep it inline and not move.....i have no idea it its possible but after reading i started to think
      Jacob--"Pain must exist in order for healing to survive.
      Neither one will ever serve their purpose alone"
      ..Black sheep, August Burns Red.
      94' Pgt- kitted and lowered. ebiach coilovers, CIA, headers, Hi-flo cat, ACT stage 2 6 puck sprung clutch....much more and who knows whats next

Comment

Originally posted by redneckmx6 View Post
        shit when I had mine (89gt with turboed FE3 and little spray on intercooler almost same setup as Matt F so pushing around 400) I destroyed 3 trans and 2 axle in under 2 months and I had damn near solid mounts so my setup wasn't going to move

a lot of times you could shave 6-8 teeth off of 3rd gear

damn trans was always weakest part of car

I would never try to use that damn trans again
        Didnt know they was weak too,lol...

you dont street race either thats a big part of you not busting trannys. you can argue all you want but you take it easy with your car. maybe your mount set up and beiing an mx3 makes a big differents when it comes to busting trannys idk. i dont think you have a specile set up or magic trans its luck and driver usage.
        What about a svt contour or focus tran..mtx75,i think
        Last edited by BlackProbe; December 5, 2008, 01:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        93 Probe gt- ,15.37 1/4 mile at mph 85 ** 5/24/03 14.71 SOLD
        1994 gt -klze,I/h/e/fly/ignition/kl31 ecu,colt210/210 cams Rip 2/13/08(blackice)
        92 mx3gs,ze swap from my probe 15.0@96mph :-( 175hp&155tq
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396402

Comment

http://forums.probetalk.com/showpost...5&postcount=80

SRT-4 gearboxes have had fairly frequent input shaft failures.

If your case breaks or cracks, it is improperly supported. You should be running at a minimum, AWR front and rear mount, and a tranny saver. That way it is supported on both sides of the diff. housing and the load is distributed a little more evenly.

And for the love of god, please stop referring to the Level10 transaxles as 'bulletproof'. I have yet to see any proof that they offer more than a converter and valve body recalibration, which makes all Panda bears with 300+ ft-lb sad.

The very bottom line, end of discussion solution is as follows - spend the cash and have the 5-speed built. Full PAR gearset with final drive ring gear, PAR extra bearing supports machined in the case, and some sort of clutch-type or spool LSD. Cost is about $7-9,000 for all of that. THAT is why no one has done it. Who's going to spend 4 times the amount of your car's blue book to have that made?

So in the meantime just band aid it the best you can unless you're willing to spend some cash.
          Last edited by Dan [Sac]; December 5, 2008, 01:12 PM.
          90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
          93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
          97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
          90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Put a 2jz in the probe,lol....Try a sc300 or 1988-1992 supra turbo...Thats why i aint boosting my probe....Time for a new project westpalmgt
            1994 gt -klze,I/h/e/fly/ignition/kl31 ecu,colt210/210 cams Rip 2/13/08(blackice)

Comment

im not giving up ill spend the money if i have to but its going to take a long time to build the 5speed tranny. In the meantime ill just keep swaping out tranies.
              The come back kid
              96 Ford Probe Turboed 12.202 @ 118.74 R.I.P
              97 Mx-6 all motor 13.7 @ 98 parted out
              88 Mx-6 Turbo Classic 14.5@93 SOLD
              93 323 hatchV6 turbo! To be announced

Comment

The rsx-s tranny seems to be a good idea but would probably cost around 4-6 grand as well to get it to fit.
                1996 PGT-T...SOLD
                N20 is like a beautiful women with an STD: you wanna hit it but your afraid of the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by z28forlife View Post
                  The rsx-s tranny seems to be a good idea but would probably cost around 4-6 grand as well to get it to fit.
                  those tran are crap..2nd & 3rd have problems

im not giving up ill spend the money if i have to but its going to take a long time to build the 5speed tranny. In the meantime ill just keep swaping out tranies.
                  JUst try a msp lsd,in a stock tran an see how it hole up.....Having the act extreme pressure plate and 6puck clutch,puts allot of beating on the tran,but your make allot of power.Do you launch the car on slicks or ride the clutch off the line?
                  Last edited by BlackProbe; December 5, 2008, 04:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

why do people keep talking about the damn RSX tranny....its a damn 4cyl honda, that puts out what 170 hp? Why would that tranny be stronger than ours? I agree with dansac....we gotta bandaid the trannys flaws the best we can....not beat the shit out of the trannies, and maybe spend the 7-9k to build a tranny. (i didnt think it was going to be that much dough either, i was thinking around 3k)
                    93 Probe GT
                    Its not a PROBLEM. It's a PROBE LUM

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d..._5571185_n.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X