Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't seem to find the braided lines on their website. I just want to take a look at them and their specs for a 96 GT. Yes I saw the pic of the 1st gener version with rear drums on the first page, but I want to know exactly what I'm getting into with these if I go for them.

Comment

• i'm about to get new rotors and will want to put new pads all the way around on my 94 pgt...does this company have good brakes for everyday driving? how good are the hawk pads? apologies for the noobness, im still learning about brakes and suspension as i don't know much yet about this area of my car.
      The Teal Beast!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by js626lx
        I can't seem to find the braided lines on their website. I just want to take a look at them and their specs for a 96 GT. Yes I saw the pic of the 1st gener version with rear drums on the first page, but I want to know exactly what I'm getting into with these if I go for them.
        They are the same as the 1g.. where as it only replaces the rubber line between the caliper and the metal hard line going to the master cylinder from the wheel well. As long as they fit (not sure if anyone has tried them on the 2g yet), they should be fine. I don't think they list them on the site (not as of my last visit there anyways) so just ask on the phone when you order your other parts.
        Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
        1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

• Originally posted by js626lx
          I can't seem to find the braided lines on their website. I just want to take a look at them and their specs for a 96 GT. Yes I saw the pic of the 1st gener version with rear drums on the first page, but I want to know exactly what I'm getting into with these if I go for them.
          Not a bad question. Your right there not on the site. They will look a lot like what the 1st gen lines look like. But of course the connections will be different. When you order them dont worry, they do make them. Ask for Tim if there is any problems. Be sure to mention what type of rear brakes your have - pads or shoes

Thanks!

Originally posted by Lil Man
          i'm about to get new rotors and will want to put new pads all the way around on my 94 pgt...does this company have good brakes for everyday driving? how good are the hawk pads? apologies for the noobness, im still learning about brakes and suspension as i don't know much yet about this area of my car.
          Being a noob is not a crime.. (Hey that should be on a t-shirt.) If your looking for everyday driving that doesnt include high performance type stuff then you might want to go with the Performance friction style. Porterfield offers many different brands of brake pads. But we only get a discount on (brake pad wise) the Porterfield brand, and the the Hawks. If you want a little more from your pads with the occassional auto-x (solo2) day, or do a lot of daily driving on hills or through mountains you might want to step up to the Porterfield R4S pads. I do believe there is also a hawk daily pad also. Eithers pads work great, I partial to the porterfield brand because they work awsome from cold in the morning to hot at the track.
          Last edited by Racy-Stacey; May 12, 2006, 12:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Toodles, Stacey_B --++=1st Gens not slow!=++-- FallGuy
          MY 'NEW' 1990 RACE CAR Stacey_B AOL IM: SCCAStaceyIB - SCCA RS - Solo2 (FSP) "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life. Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT. Hagopian/Bertran
          Sponsors: Porterfield Racing Brakes - LTB Motorsports - Tires Warehouse - Auto-Meter

Comment

• how do I order the lines? call the number and just tell them what I want and mention the National Probe Owners Network?

Comment

• Thanks for the info Stacey and Fastest95PGT.
              Last edited by js626lx; May 16, 2006, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Js626lx... You shouldnt ask that kind of question here. You would get an answere more likly in a new thread and not this one.

Yes ..
                Basically you do just that.

Originally posted by sidewndr46
                how do I order the lines? call the number and just tell them what I want and mention the National Probe Owners Network?
                Last edited by Racy-Stacey; May 15, 2006, 09:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                Toodles, Stacey_B --++=1st Gens not slow!=++-- FallGuy
                MY 'NEW' 1990 RACE CAR Stacey_B AOL IM: SCCAStaceyIB - SCCA RS - Solo2 (FSP) "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life. Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT. Hagopian/Bertran
                Sponsors: Porterfield Racing Brakes - LTB Motorsports - Tires Warehouse - Auto-Meter

Comment

• Very true Stacey. I thought about that for a second but put it here anyway Post edited...
                  Project Blue Book:: 1996 Probe GT, atx, Boysenberry - Missing Clear Coat MOD.... Phenolic Spacers, Modded Injen CAI, 16mm Sway Bar w/ Moog End links, NGK Plugs and Wires - Lost Cause DD

Comment

• I just called Porterfield to get some prices and the Hawk HPS pads are cheaper at Pepboys.
                    94 GT-Eibach/blues, CAI, SS lines, s/cd rotors, tenzo seats, enkei 17s, 626 bar, 95 rear bumper w/lights, sleepy eyes & 3rd set of broken foglights

also known as "deduce37".

Comment

• Originally posted by deduce37
                      I just called Porterfield to get some prices and the Hawk HPS pads are cheaper at Pepboys.
                      Read the very first post...
                      Originally posted by Racy-Stacey
                      This applies to only Ford Probe cars or Mx-6, 626 cars. Excludes all other vehicles[/color][/center]
                      • R-4 Full Race Compound
                      • R4-S High Performance Street & Autocross
                      • NEW ITEM: Braided Lines: 1st Gen and 2nd Gen (includes Mx-6) $20/ea line or $80 a full set
                      And see this discount only applies to the R4 and R4S Porterfield pads.
                      Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi

Comment

• I read that but if you look a little farther.........

Originally posted by Racy-Stacey

Latest discount offer. --> Porterfield is now offering discounts to our members on these products: Reybestos/ Performance Friction/ HAWK/ XRP brake pads.

And they did discount the Hawks hps pads when I called. Its just that they are cheaper at pepboys.
                        94 GT-Eibach/blues, CAI, SS lines, s/cd rotors, tenzo seats, enkei 17s, 626 bar, 95 rear bumper w/lights, sleepy eyes & 3rd set of broken foglights

Comment

• I installed the Porterfield SS lines on my 1g finally. The only problem I had was on the fronts. Where they go through the bracket on the wheel well, they are larger than the hole required by the stock line. I ended up dremel'ing it out a hair (literally) all the way around and slid it through.

Stock lines don't use as much of the threading as the porterfield end requires. So to make it easier to thread in and avoid a "false bottom" when tightening, I suggest taking a small wire brush to clean the crud off the stock line fitting if there is any. On the first side I thought the threaded portion was too short and ended up replacing the line to stop the leak as it "appeared" too short. On the other side though I had the same thing happen and didn't want to change the line if I could avoid it so I cleaned the threads just to make sure it sat as far as it could. That solved the problem.

As for caliper fitment, they were flawless both front and rear.
                          Originally posted by deduce37
                          I read that but if you look a little farther.........

And they did discount the Hawks hps pads when I called. Its just that they are cheaper at pepboys.
                          haha, and that was right after my quote too. Oh well, I have R4S pads on my 1g (Brembo Blanks) and 2g (KVR Cross Drilled) and they perform very well.

You should go to Pep Boys though, be sure to get a sticker for your window.

Comment

• pepboys sticker? Look I have no problem with this thread or the deals on it. The rest of the items on the list are a great price. I was only trying to save people some money and time(shipping). I know I personally don't have much of either. Are the Hawk HPS pads any different from the Hawk HPS pads at pepboys? If so please let me know.

Comment

• Seemed to me like you were "rubbing it in" that they are cheaper at Pep Boys.

I don't have a Pep Boys in my area (the only one we had closed) and I couldn't tell you where the next nearest one is. I must say that it was probably the best parts store that we had when it was here though. I recommend trying out the R4S pads unless you've got your heart set on the Hawk HPS pads. They're pretty cheap even if you just go for the fronts.

Comment

• Sorry if that's the way it seemed. Actually I'm not the biggest fan of pep boys. Most of there parts are way higher than other stores. Only reason I was going to go with those over R4S pads is because of a thread I read. I think it was "Hawk HPS vs Porterfield R4S?" I'll PM you tmw cause I have a couple questions about them. In the meantime I'm going I don't want to start any trouble
                                Last edited by deduce7; August 9, 2006, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X