Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just ordered 06-07 MS6 brakes for my 95PGT. I'm wondering if anyone has engineered a solution for the E-Brake issue? I'd like to have it functioning. I don't think I did too bad though, 100 for the set of front calipers and brackets, 90 for the rears. another 300 into rotors and pads. Can't wait to get it all put together.
    --------------------- I am the American Stig -----------------------
    95 PGT. fidanza, clutchmasters stage 3, poly mounts, short throw(thanks nick), 2.5" cat back, MS6 brakes, 245/40 18's. now rockin a mx6 tranny.... lets see how long this one lasts...

Comment

• yes sir........i dont have the time or know how
      but it would be nice to have an e brake again!

Comment

• Where did you get the front calipers from?
        '93 Mazda MX-6 LS: Five AD S5F 18x8.5 +30 & P215/35R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE760's, KW Variant 3 Coilovers, Traction Bars, South Bend Stage 2 Daily Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Corksport Stainless Braided Clutch Line, '07 Mazdaspeed6 F+R Brakes, Power Slot Rotors, Hawk HPS, Goodridge SS Brake Hoses, Pacesetter Headers, Test Pipe, Borla Catback, Outlaw Spacer Kit, EGR Block-Off, PRD STS, UHMWP Shifter Bushings, Trans Saver, PRM CAI, RedLineGoods Shift Boot

Comment

• try ebay, or any of a dozen or so different mazda forums. there easily available pretty much anywhere.
          PaTricK
          ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

• Yeah, eBay calipers. Try car-part.com as well, you're looking for used parts because for some reason rebuilt calipers are almost (or completely) unobtainable, and Mazda wants a ton of cash for them.

I saw someone claiming they worked out the e-brake situation and that they would post a how to. Never found that, but someone else was suggesting mounting the calipers on the opposite side to get the e-brake to line up. I don't have the parts in front of me, but I have a feeling it might work.
            95 PGT. fidanza, clutchmasters stage 3, poly mounts, short throw(thanks nick), 2.5" cat back, MS6 brakes, 245/40 18's. now rockin a mx6 tranny.... lets see how long this one lasts...

Comment

• if you mounted the calipers on the opposite sides, you wouldnt be able to properly bleed them. so that wouldnt work.
              PaTricK

Comment

• Originally posted by MonoxideChild View Post
                if you mounted the calipers on the opposite sides, you wouldnt be able to properly bleed them. so that wouldnt work.
                From what I've read, the rear calipers on the probe are trailing, whereas the ms6 and m6 rear calipers are leading, so when we mount them on the probe the bleeder is already an issue. From what I saw, you must bleed them before mounting them. That's not to say whomever it was that did the write up installed them on their intended sides. I'll have more to say once I have the parts in hand, until then I can only speculate.

Comment

• Okay, I've got the parts in hand and I'm currently installing the fronts. Has anyone else had a problem with the alignment pin on the brake line not lining up? Everything but the line bolted right up without an issue. When I attempt to attach the line, with the pin in the alignment hole, it causes the line to hit the bleeder. I'm thinking I'll have to grind the pin off to make the line fit. Any thoughts?

Comment

• Okay. Everything is all installed. The front brake lines would not fit without modification. I had to remove the locating pin for everything to fit correctly. Not sure if someone installed incorrect lines before I purchased the car, or if others have also had this issue.

As for the rears. If you mount them on the correct side, the bleeders are on the bottom. If you swap sides everything bolts up fine, and the bleeders are in the proper location. Mounted this way the e-brake cable ALMOST reaches. So there is no way this will just bolt up, and have the e-brake function without modification. I'm considering getting the knuckles from a 6 and attempting it that way. That would move the calipers forward and possibly allow the e-brake to function with the stock cable.

Comment

• You can lengthen the cable for less than $20 at home depot, pretty sure that's been covered in the last 12 pages.
                      Ryan
                      '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
                      SMF Prep:
                      MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

• Originally posted by dillinr View Post
                        You can lengthen the cable for less than $20 at home depot, pretty sure that's been covered in the last 12 pages.
                        I saw someone suggest that it could be done. Someone offered to post a how to, but no one has. I've read that someone figured it out. But in none of that was there proof, photos, instructions etc.

The cables actually reach, though not in a way that they can function as is. I did not receive the E-brake brackets with my MS6 calipers, and the Probe stock brackets likely need some modification to work. I'm curious to see if the Mazda 6 knuckles will bolt up. If the calipers were moved forward, the cable is likely more than long enough to work without modification. I'm inclined to give that a try. If it works, then this would truly be a bolt on mod. Having to swap the knuckles as well makes it more involved, but assuming everything functions properly it would be well worth the extra effort.

Comment

• Won't moving the caliper forward decrease the amount of pad contact area on the rotor?
                          1994 PGT MTX-CAI/STS/Hotshot headers/Vibrant catalytic/Pacesetter-Magnaflow catback/Outlaw spacers/RR inserts/Mazda6 brake upgrade/Yonaka coilovers/AWR trailing arms/AWR rear sway bar/PRD rear STB/95-97 rear end conversion.

2006 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed 6

Comment

• Originally posted by RedGT View Post
                            Won't moving the caliper forward decrease the amount of pad contact area on the rotor?
                            Nope. It will only change the physical location of the caliper. That will have absolutely no effect on how much of the pad is in contact with the rotor. Either way, if the whole pad isn't in contact, you've got issues. I'm just suggesting that if the Mazda 6 knuckles bolt up, it'd relocate the calipers and the stock e-brake cable may work without modification. We'll see at some point.

Comment

• Have fun swapping knuckles. While you're at it grab the whole rear suspension/subframe from the 6, and warm up the welder. You're going to need it. :p

Check out Home Depot Racing, find the isle with all the steel cabling, you'll find eyelets, turnbuckles, and all sorts of fun stuff to extend the stock cable. If you're capable of swaping brakes, with a little imagination you can extend the brake cables.
                              Ryan
                              '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
                              SMF Prep:
                              MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

• the mazda6 rear suspension is TOTALLY different then the probe/mx6. there's no way the hubs would swap over. or any other part of the suspension back there.
                                PaTricK

Comment

Working...
                                X