Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funzie took some detailled pics of his install : http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701256566

First post has been modified to incorporate as much information as possible.
    Last edited by PGT97_Racer; June 4, 2008, 05:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    KLZE, Hotshot Headers, Hotshot CAI, Pacesetter exhaust, 626 swar bar, AWR adjustable endlinks, Centreforce clutch, MX-3 Flywheel, JJ resonated TP, Eibach Springs, Shogun Rims, Mach 1 Chin and Mazda6 BBK (the Orignal)

Comment

are those the regular 6 brakes or the speed 6? cause those look bad @$$
      My '97 GTS in its prime
      New GTS Stripped and gutted rebuild from ground up.
      2000 Explorer XLS 2 inch lift 32 inch BFG's My Wifes Daily

Comment

Has anyone tried the Mazda6 rear brake cable to see if it is long enough or if it fits?
        2011 Toyota Camry 6MT

Comment

Some one did a simple physics 101 force increase on this and I'm not sure but I think it was for the 11.x" rotor and came up with a 25% difference in the numbers concerning force applied at that diameter verse the smaller rotor. You must also consider the difference in heat with the larger rotor. I hope this rambling made sense, its been a while since physics for me. I agree that a dual piston would be better, but for the price why complain.
          KLZE, MS, SS headers/downpipe, 2.5" downpipe, Pacesetter 2.5" exhaust, Interprep valve springs, Egay CAI, 11lb Egay flywheel, KYB GR2 struts w/ vogltand springs, Egay STS, and now I'm gonna go supercharged. Hello SC14.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_96PGT View Post
            These 06-07 Mazda6 calipers (not speed) make the Millenia S setup look small
            Originally posted by JKpgt96 View Post
            Pics of any of these installs?
            hi. as requested, here are a couple pics of the 'correct' Millenia S setup (Millenia S dual piston front calipers, 3000 GT VR4 front rotors, and hardware = my ReidSpeed setup):

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2...racecaryv2.jpg

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4...peedbbkyy3.jpg

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2...rsfrontrr4.jpg

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/2...orssideep7.jpg

note that with the oem 16" wheels, this is about the MAX size rotor you can run; there is the minimum clearance available between the rim and the Millenia S caliper....

please note that this is a 'system'; the Millenia S calipers work with the 3000 GT VR4 rotors (using my mounting hardware). i would not recommend trying to use the Millenia S calipers with the Millenia S rotors; the rotor simply isn't massive enough to deal with the rigors of extreme braking....

below please see a picture of me racing my other car; a honda civic hatchback. this car has the complete Legend dual piston front caliper/Integra Type R 11.1" rotor conversion on it. the car only weighs 2300 lbs. with me in it (as compared to 2700+ lbs for the probe). i run 15" wheels on the civic for better acceleration and lower weight, so 11" rotors are the max i can fit:

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/9...mmit200bq5.jpg

look carefully at the front wheels! this is what the Probe used to look like after 3-4 laps of running with the stock 10" brakes. then the brake pads would bend and melt, and the rotors would fail. and i'd HAVE to back off, and lose the race!!!! now, no matter how long the race is in the probe, i never get any neato pics like this; the brakes just don't get hot enough to glow like that in daylight!!!!! i am fairly certain i could run a 6 hour enduro with the Probe, and never have to change the front pads; they'd last the entire race... (i'd have to change pads at least 3 times in the honda civic!).

hope that answered some of the questions!

todd
            ReidSpeed
            Last edited by d15b7; June 4, 2008, 02:07 PM.
            Todd Reid #11 ReidSpeedInc.com Ford Probe GT
            2011 Race Track Combat Champion
            2011 NASA National PTE Reserve Champion
            2009 & 2007 NASA Mid Atlantic PTE Champion
            "If you wanna go faster, you gotta be able to STOP!"

Comment

The Millenia S rotors are smaller than the mazda6 (2006-2007) rotors, I have both. Seems like the mazda6 rotors will fill the back of the 16" rims.
              eh
              I just noticed you are usiing VR4 rotors

Ignore me!
              Rick_96PGT #62
              "I never apologize.
              I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am."
              - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by aholic View Post
                Are the front calipers from a MS6 / 6 MSP dual piston or single piston like the ones from a normal 6?
                thanks
                Single. The CX7 and CX9 use dual piston calipers and seem to use MS6 size (12.6") rotors. I'll wait ti,ll those are confirmed/denied before I upgrade again.

Originally posted by twiztid_wun View Post
                if it's just a single piston caliper why bother switching it? wouldnt it be better to just reuse the ones we already have?
                They wont fit. Besides the 6 calipers are beefier then ours and will flex less.

Originally posted by PGT97_Racer View Post
                I don't know why this issue still keeps popping up, but if you install the rears, you'll loose the E-Brake, it's been mentionned several times now. Unless you can fab your own E-Brake bracket.

The cables are too short. It shouldnt be an impossible problem to solve.

Comment

So the Millenia S dual piston front calipers, 3000 GT VR4 front rotors setup is proven to hold up under racing conditions. Has anyone tried any of the Mazda6 brake setups on a track? The brakes on the stock 2nd gen MX-6 LS are plenty for street use, it's only the repeated high speed stops of track duty that kill our brakes. We don't need more braking torque just more endurance (if you can lock a tire under braking you don't need more braking torque).

So has anyone raced with one of these setups? Can it handle full tilt laps on a track with 100+mph straights? My rotors are due for replacement (aggressive pads shorten rotor life) and I'm looking for cheap (aka no bling, unlike most BBKs) race tested caliper/rotor combos that can handle full lap duty.
                  Last edited by 95MX6-LS; June 4, 2008, 05:13 PM.
                  my email address is NOT working!

Comment

Todd, could you shed some light on what 'your hardware' means?
                    Anthony D. Christiano

Comment

• Originally posted by Domino81 View Post
                      I'm sure he will answer for himself but i beleive it was as per his original threads for a BB feeler some time agao.

Custom Bracket, dual pot calipers and VR4 rotors. which require the hub to be machined out a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Domino81 View Post
                        good evening, gents. i'm happy to answer any/all questions!

the required hardware package to mate the 3000 GT VR4 rotors and Millenia S calipers is:

custom stainless steel waterjet cut tig welded adapter brackets with custom grade 10.9 fasteners:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5...andhardwt5.jpg

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4...tsfronthl4.jpg

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/8...etssidevh4.jpg

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/1491/hardwaredw6.jpg

there is no milling of the knuckle required; stock oem probe (or mx-6 or 626) part is retained. the center bore of the VR4 rotors is slighty enlarged to fit correctly onto the oem probe knuckle.

i've been racing with this setup for over 3 yrs now; i'd call it a 'torture test'; the parts still look and work like new. they will outlast this car, plus the next 10! i know that i've way overdesigned these parts (i am a degreed mech engineer from the university of pennsylvania), but when it comes to the braking system on a racecar -- well, let's just say that's the LAST system that i ever want to fail!

todd
                        ReidSpeed
                        Last edited by d15b7; June 4, 2008, 05:47 PM.
                        Todd Reid #11 ReidSpeedInc.com Ford Probe GT
                        2011 Race Track Combat Champion
                        2011 NASA National PTE Reserve Champion
                        2009 & 2007 NASA Mid Atlantic PTE Champion
                        "If you wanna go faster, you gotta be able to STOP!"

Comment

• I found this table and I think it might help while looking for rotors. SOME INFORMATION IS NOT CORRECT SO BE CAREFULL

http://www.national-auto.co.uk/catafiles/brake/nbd.pdf
                          94' Probe GT ZE with most of the bolt-ons and some minor modifications
                          http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm266/ollibeib/PGT/ - Pictures of my PGT

Comment

• So I called Mazda and found the following info for the 2003 Mazda Speed Protege:
                            MAZDASPEED
                            Rotors GF3Y-33-25XA $84.65
                            Calipers and bracket R GFYP-33-98ZA code not right but $417
                            Calipers and bracket L BPYH-33-99Z $417

Rear rotors 2003 Protégé
                            MAZDASPEED Model R/L GF3Y-26-251A 69.52
                            Caliper and Bracket 2003 Protégé
                            MAZDASPEED Model
                            R BPYH-26-98Z $443
                            L BPYH-26-99Z $443

If you can find the stuff cheaper then by all means get it you need Rotors for the MSP and Calipers with brackets and pads you can't mix and match it all has to be MSP I am not sure if the MS6 stuff is the same maybe some one else check on that.

I definitely want this stuff but try finding a MSP in a junkyard good luck. I dunno about paying 2K for calipers either.
                            Last edited by RoadRage; June 12, 2008, 07:10 PM.
                            Regards,
                            Andre S
                            93 Mazda 626 - Heavily modified - Cross Pollinated - Work in Progress
                            --------------------------------My Build Page---------------------------------

Comment

• mazda owners must be made of money to pay for all that stuff. wow.
                              1997 Honda Del Sol S

Comment

• Originally posted by RoadRage View Post
                                So I called Mazda and found the following info for the 2003 Mazda Speed Protege:
                                MAZDASPEED
                                Rotors GF3Y-33-25XA $84.65
                                Calipers and bracket R GFYP-33-98ZA code not right but $417
                                Calipers and bracket L BPYH-33-99Z $417

Rear rotors 2003 Protégé
                                MAZDASPEED Model R/L GF3Y-26-251A 69.52
                                Caliper and Bracket 2003 Protégé
                                MAZDASPEED Model
                                R BPYH-26-98Z $443
                                L BPYH-26-99Z $443

If you can find the stuff cheaper then by all means get it you need Rotors for the MSP and Calipers with brackets and pads you can't mix and match it all has to be MSP I am not sure if the MS6 stuff is the same maybe some one else check on that.

I definitely want this stuff but try finding a MSP in a junkyard good luck. I dunno about paying 2K for calipers either.
                                Why go with front MSP rotors and Calipers? The Mazda6's are bigger and beafier.
                                KLZE, Hotshot Headers, Hotshot CAI, Pacesetter exhaust, 626 swar bar, AWR adjustable endlinks, Centreforce clutch, MX-3 Flywheel, JJ resonated TP, Eibach Springs, Shogun Rims, Mach 1 Chin and Mazda6 BBK (the Orignal)

Comment

Working...
                                X