Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i've been meaning to post my experience while driving this car. I first took it our for a spin around the block where I work and did exactly what do with my car daily. i had at that time a '93 pgt with stock 130k mile struts, eibachs and custom(not cut) bump stops for soomther cushioning and stock wheels with kumhos 712, rear 626 sway bar. I drove The Brains car around the same corners and immediatly noticed a difference in the way it hugged the corner, infact this was months ago and i can still remember the feel of the car sticking to the pavement and cornering with effortlessly. it was something i'd felt from no other probe, much less mine.
    I drove it on another occasion for a longer trip on freeways and interchanges. I got to say doing 90mph on a interchange where i normally do 75 on my car and feel 10 times more in control when doing it was amazing. During the turn i could in my lane, jurk the wheel left and right and the car would respond immediatly and not waunder. it still stayed glued throughout the whole interchange. overall high speed road imperfections were minimal harshness when set at 10 it felt as smooth as my '95 with '93 stock springs and kyb replacemts. This was by far a joyfull experience and I to plan on buying me a set for the beast. Two THUMBS waaaaaaaaaay Up.

And as for when these will be released, The Brain would have the closest idea of a time frame, But I'd be patient as were probobly not the only car out there in Tein's new production plans.
    Last edited by mac1; December 28, 2005, 11:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
    1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
    2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
    2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
    1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

• "Initially, TEIN's design by specifications of the car called for a spring rate of 8kgf/mm(449lbs/in). However, upon actual Real-Road Testing of the product on the vehicle, Tein's Research and Development Manager, Ippei Sugano (feel free to look up on the internet to see what the tuner community thinks of his abilities), decided to revalve the dampening and increased the spring rate to 9kgf.mm(504lbs/in) because of the relative extra weight over the front of the vehicle. He told me this personally, while we discussed his design philosophy for this car."

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

I am finally backed up in my choice of spring rates!

Right now I am running 500lbs up front and 450s in the back. the rear may be a little high but otherwise its awesome. I am just excited to hear that they arent giving us some bullshit 350lb springs for our car and telling us its a race setup. I am glad a company has actually spent the time and done the research to make a decent product for our car! Much appreciation goes out to everyone involved in this.

"With A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, With a supercharger, air goes in,witchcraft happens and you go faster"
      -Jeremy Clarkson

D'Jasper Probincrux III - South Carolina State University

Comment

• Originally posted by ProbeGTC
        This is so stupid. I got bitched at because I checked into it with my local shop in October. I was told to "stop playing detective" and "we know far more than your local 'import' racing 'store' might know"

Whatever....
        get over yourself. would you care for some cheese to go with that whine?

the delay was due to TEIN deciding to release their full lineup for the car. we knew this and didn't want to release the info because there is already enough built-up hype just for the super street dampers.

any other comments you may or may not have can be directed to me privately, as i expect not to see any further posting from you in this thread or on this topic.

:ontopic:

heh, if pizzi wasn't so busy with his other project right now, he would be posting new information because i'm sure he has some. i'll have to give him a call and get him to post in here again.
        ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

• dmark101...could you also ask for dyno plots of the struts as well? Im sure those are available since the spring rates have been set. Theres a fellow autocrosser who will be having his Teins revalved and has been unable to find a standard or modified dyno plot for Teins. I mentioned that there was some work being done and that it should be available since pretty much any OTC strut thats using 500lb springs will need to be revalved. Thanks.

By the way, 350lbs springs are more than enough to rattle the teeth of 99% of the folks on this board. Just as there are different tastes, there are different ranges of suspension applications to fit those tastes. There is a place for KYB GR2s, Eibach sportline springs, tokico "blues", Illuminas, Ground control(of varying spring rate/length), etc. To say that one is "bullshit" as compared to another escapes the understanding that there are different tastes and (more importanly) needs of the individual.

Gavin

Comment

• Oh no not at all. I wasn't bashing anyone. I love the ride of gr2s and a set of eibachs its probably one of the best set ups for the probe if you are driving it on the street and occasionally having fun in the twisties. Just saying that my setup isnt overkill.
            "With A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, With a supercharger, air goes in,witchcraft happens and you go faster"
            -Jeremy Clarkson

D'Jasper Probincrux III - South Carolina State University

Comment

• I just updated the first post of this thread. 1st paragraph.
              Toodles, Stacey_B --++=1st Gens not slow!=++-- FallGuy
              MY 'NEW' 1990 RACE CAR Stacey_B AOL IM: SCCAStaceyIB - SCCA RS - Solo2 (FSP) "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life. Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT. Hagopian/Bertran
              Sponsors: Porterfield Racing Brakes - LTB Motorsports - Tires Warehouse - Auto-Meter

Comment

• Originally posted by gavin
                By the way, 350lbs springs are more than enough to rattle the teeth of 99% of the folks on this board. Just as there are different tastes, there are different ranges of suspension applications to fit those tastes. There is a place for KYB GR2s, Eibach sportline springs, tokico "blues", Illuminas, Ground control(of varying spring rate/length), etc. To say that one is "bullshit" as compared to another escapes the understanding that there are different tastes and (more importanly) needs of the individual.

Gavin
                i agree. i think if TEIN would offer a choice of spring rates, with the appropriate strut dampening to match, there would be NO complaints about the system, and i would be in for a set
                Black 94 PGT - squirted, LSD'd, turbo DE/ZE hybrid @ 8psi

Forget the dog...turbos are a man's best friend

Comment

• No complaints? You mean like Tokico illuminas(adjustable damping rates) and Ground control coilovers(individual choice of spring rate/length)?

My personal feeling is that, while the tools were always there, they were never utilized to their fullest extent by the masses. This isnt an indictment of the masses however. Its understandable that, while choice/flexability is a good thing, that choice/flexability leads to complexity. Without the knowledge of how to navigate that complexity, most folks opt for simplicity instead(IE: something thats prepackaged). But enough psychology for now.

I believe Tein has springs in 64mm diameter of various rates(in kg/cm I think) and the struts that are being developed will have a range of damping settings.

EDIT:64mm is closer to 2.5"

Gavin
                  Last edited by gavin; January 5, 2006, 05:07 PM.

Comment

No complaints? You mean like Tokico illuminas(adjustable damping rates) and Ground control coilovers(individual choice of spring rate/length)?

I believe Tein has springs in 60mm diameter of various rates(in kg/cm I think) and the struts that are being developed will have a range of damping settings.

Gavin
                    what i should have said is the correct valving for that particular spring rate. for instance, as it sits the TEIN struts can accomodate a spring rate of 7-11kg/mm. so if there was valving available for springs with say, a 3-7kg/mm range, then we would all be set. not everyone wants to drop their car into the weeds, and i dont think everyone else should have to be penalized with the corresponding high spring rates for those people who choose to drive around daily on crappy public roads with extremely short suspension travel.

fwiw, i have ridden in cars with the illumina/gc combo and felt they were too harsh for my liking
                    Last edited by 94PGT; January 5, 2006, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• If thats their range then you would have the have them revalved or look towards another manufacturer that fits that need.

My point is that you arent set with what you are given(not now..or before).Use the tools to their fullest to extract whats needed from them. The Illumina/GC were too stiff? Change the rates and the settings(softer/longer springs, softer settings). Nothing stops anyone from doing this, but they dont.

Gavin

Comment

If thats their range then you would have the have them revalved or look towards another manufacturer that fits that need.

My point is that you arent set with what you are given(not now..or before).Use the tools to their fullest to extract whats needed from them. The Illumina/GC were too stiff? Change the rates and the settings(softer/longer springs, softer settings). Nothing stops anyone from doing this, but they dont.

Gavin
                        yeah but afaik you cant get coilovers with less than 350lb/in spring rate. height adjustability is important to me for the times when i would need to return my car to stock height to ship it on a barge which i do a few times per year. if the inspector cant get his roller height gauge under the car, they will not ship it. as it is now, there is only about 1" of clearance between the gauge and STOCK ride height.
                        Last edited by 94PGT; January 5, 2006, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• You can order Eibach ERS springs in as low a spring rate as 150lbs (in 8" length) with incremental increases of 25lbs with your Ground Control coilovers. Or even lower at 100lbs(12" length) increasing at as low as 10lb increments . They are all there on Ground controls site to be picked and chosen from. Much is the same with H+R, Hypercoil, etc.

Now..how to pick and chose for your needs, well, that takes some work and like I said, some folks dont know/want to do that type of work. In the end, the suspension cant do what you want without you making it do what you want.

Gavin
                          Last edited by gavin; January 5, 2006, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• thanks gavin!

Comment

• I should know this, however I don't, and it seems to be a pertinent fact to the thread and current sub-discussion...

What is the stock Spring rate for PGT's and for MX6's?

Laters
                              Ryan
                              Ryan
                              '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
                              SMF Prep:
                              MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

• Spring rate this, spring rate that! I'm so glad i dont fully understand spring rate and just know what a good one is. I say if you can, buy the Teins and worry about replacing spring rates later, or wait for ever and a day contemplating about getting them that you eventually sell the probe like many other long time members have because they werent happy with what they ended up with. These Teins will you give your Probe an almost new car feel with a major performance boost. Simply the best.
                                Last edited by mac1; January 8, 2006, 10:07 PM.
                                1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                                1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                                2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                                2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                                1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Working...
                                X