Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fyi: my 95 se has 6.5" cutouts in the front but there were only 3 screw holes, so crutchfield said nothing would fit. the 3 point mounting thingies that came with my infinitys didnt work. i drilled holes and now i have no more blown speakers!

infinity reference 6010cs had no clearance issues with windows or anything.
    89 accord lxi: dd
    96 gt: gone
    95 se: smoshed

Comment

Just a little FYI for everyone looking to replace the stock 6.5" sub. There are quite a few options on the market for 6.5 inch subs, Mpyre 65x is one, Tang Band 6.5 from Parts Express is another, JL makes a 6.5 inch sub.

The Mpyre or TB are my picks out of those that I mentioned, but there are others out there. The Mpyre uses the XBl^2 motor technology from Adire Audio.

Morgan
      2000 Neon ES- Sony 310/Incriminator I65C/Rockford P250.2
      2000 Explorer Sport 2 door- Alpine 9886/Incriminator Death Row 15/Audiopipe APSM-1500/Knu Konceptz Wiring

Comment

1990 PGL

OEM Speakers:

Front: 6.5"
        Rear: 4"x6"

Aftermarket capabilities:

Front:
        6.5"
        Front are limited by a (IIRC) 2-1/8" max depth requirement.
        Therefore, for slightly deeper speakers I've done 5.25" speakers with a spacer between the door and the speaker - about the perfect size was the ring from the grills.

Rear:
        5.25"
        6.5"
        5"x7"
        Possibly 6"x9"

Using 3/4" MDF board to mount the speaker allows for some versatility.
        Pr0n - my Anti-Drug.
        1G FAQ - A MUST READ for 1G's! ~ 1990 PGL = WRECKED! & Sold! ~ 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring
        "Let me hear you make decisions without your television."

Enjoy PT? Support it.

Comment

lookin into a component set for my 96 gt. it has premium sound but i will prob pull all the stock wires out and just run the four mains off the head unit and sub from a rockford i have. my question is about mounting depth. ive had probs in the past with things fitting and then later vibratting against the window ehen its down. what is the depth for the 6.5 rounds in the front doors, and what is a good comp. set for under 100? Thanks
          96 PGT & 97 Prizobe put down in their prime, 96 PGT with minor bolt-ons :SOLD & MISSED:
          95 PGT-ZE with more bolt-ons :SOLD for rwd fun:
          71 Mach1 Mustang w/a 400 its Aliiiiiiiive!
          02 allroad 2.7TT w/ 60k #because bags, Porsche brakes, Stg I Tune & Exhaust...just getting started

Comment

Originally posted by t_masters
            I know no one asked but i am just going to tell...If you have never heard Of Morel speakers i would suggest checking them out...one of the best sounding speakers i have ever heard. I listened to 2 6" component sets and it sounded like i was sitting in front of a home theatre system. Oh and that was without a sub....amazing mid and low bass on them, compared to any alpine or kicker anyways. I myself have Alpine type R stuff, although i would like those Morels...check them out
            I agree...fell in love with them the first time i heard them.

2.25" stainless exhaust, Headers, CAI, AWR mounts, B&M Short Throw, Jacobs Pro-street, Front/Rear Strut brace, clear corners, Colt 210/210, Interprep valve springs, Aasco flywheel, CM IIR clutch, ZE IM, phenos

Comment

Originally posted by backseat_driver
              Since there seems to be a neverending supply of people asking what size speakers fit, I thought I'd search and find out exactly what does fit. This is the list I have come up with. Please don't post saying "NO! That's not right!" unless you can show some proof. I actually went through several pages of posts(plus having installed stereos and speakers in several different probes) to find this stuff.
              If anybody knows the mounting depth of the speakers that they have, and would like to share, that'd be great.

1st Gen(all years 89-92)
              Front: 6.5
              Rear('89): 6.5
              Rear('90): 4x6, 5x7, 5.25, 6.5 (thanks to anomaly)
              Rear('91, '92): 4x6

Front mounting depth:
              (all years): 2 1/8"
              If you must have deeper speakers, there is a little bit of space in front if you have a good spacer. +

2nd Gen(93-94)
              Front: 5.25
              Rear: 5x7/6x8*

2nd Gen(95+)
              Front: 6.5
              Rear: 5x7/6x8*

front mounting depth
              (all years): Slightly greater than 2 1/8. I say this because the depth for 1st gens is known. When I had my '91 sometimes the speakers would rub the windows when they were rolled down. With the same speakers int my 95, they only touch the windows if the door is slammed when the windows are down. Take caution though, as this can cause damage to windows and/or tint.+

On factory amps:
              First Generation Probes with premium sound have a small factory amp under the front passenger seat. Second gens with premium sound** have an amp behind the plastic in the forward section of the trunk on the passenger side.

*5x7 and 6x8 have the same size mounting hardware. The only reason for the different sizes is manufacturer preference. 6x9's will fit in the 2nd gen rear spots, but it requires a bit of cutting of the metal(also anybody who has pics of installed 6x9's and the cutting required, please post!).

**It's possible to have a factory amp without having premium sound

+this is from the back of the mounting plate to the tip of the magnet. Sometimes manufacturers list the depth this way, sometimes they list it as from tip of the tweeter to the tip of the magnet. The best way is always to measure yourself, both the cars allowances and the prospective speakers dimensions.
              Hai,

I am Jeni. I am newbie here. Your information are very useful to me. Thanks for your great useful job.
              Used Car Loan|Bad Credit Car Loan|Affordable Car Insurance

Comment

i got both 5.25s and 6 1/2s and neither of them fit!!!!! 6 1/2s are too big and the 5.25 are WAY too SMALL!!! wtf!
                Good judgement comes from experience.
                Experience comes from bad judgement.

Comment

hey what are the best speakers you can recommend i have a whole explode system(whack!!!) but i have stock speakers which are all blown so any recommendations sorry if it seems off-topic
                  95 ls mx6

Comment

As I said, the fronts are technically 6", the same as the ones that are in the truck I have. 6 1/2's will fit, but it takes a little bit of work and/or spacers to get them to fit flush.

Also, to anyone who is going to replace the fronts, make sure that the depth of the speaker isn't too deep, as hitting the windows is pretty easy with a lot of 6 1/2's. Shallow 6 1/2's will usually fit with no problems with depth at all, but the diameter of the speaker is a little bit larger than the opening. A little grinding can take care of that in a minute or two.

Morgan
                    2000 Neon ES- Sony 310/Incriminator I65C/Rockford P250.2
                    2000 Explorer Sport 2 door- Alpine 9886/Incriminator Death Row 15/Audiopipe APSM-1500/Knu Konceptz Wiring

Comment

Reason for that

The reason your rears are 5.25 is because somebody changed them the stock probe comes with 6x8 in the back and 5" in the front....... sounds good tho

Comment

I ended up getting a set of 6 1/2 comp set for the front Phoenix golds that sound great but they did take a little . . . modifying, with a pair of vise grips and a drill and then they were fine except that when i would shut the door w/ the window down the window would hit the magnet. and with stock rubber gaurds that are there they rubbed and left marks on my tint.

so . . . a tip for those with similar problems:

I took off the rubber gaurd and just put the soft side of velcro patches on the back of the speaker magnets so the windows hit a soft surface when slammed and dont have marks when raised.
                        96 PGT & 97 Prizobe put down in their prime, 96 PGT with minor bolt-ons :SOLD & MISSED:
                        95 PGT-ZE with more bolt-ons :SOLD for rwd fun:
                        71 Mach1 Mustang w/a 400 its Aliiiiiiiive!
                        02 allroad 2.7TT w/ 60k #because bags, Porsche brakes, Stg I Tune & Exhaust...just getting started

Comment

In the second gen i beleive the amp is mounted below the rear speaker on the pass side.

I have jl tr 6x8s in my rear. The fit fine in the stock holes.
                          Last edited by chrispsmooth77; August 9, 2007, 04:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Comment

With a bit of cutting I was able to fit 6" in the front and 6x9's in the back all cop soundstream.

Comment

4x6 6 1/2

my gt had 4x6 in the back but the other gt same year had 6 1/2 in it

Comment

I Also havea 93 probe SE. It may of had an upgraded stereo, I am not to sure bc the cd player was replaced. But when i replaced everything i pulled out 6.5" speakers in the front, and 6x8" speakers in the rear. I replaced them with the MTX axial speakers in the same size, no problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X