Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a week of having this setup, I've noticed quite a difference in braking.
    Really seems to stop a lot better. If i get the chance, I'll see how long it takes to brake from 60 to 0.
    KLZE, Hotshot Headers, Hotshot CAI, Pacesetter exhaust, 626 swar bar, AWR adjustable endlinks, Centreforce clutch, MX-3 Flywheel, JJ resonated TP, Eibach Springs, Shogun Rims, Mach 1 Chin and Mazda6 BBK (the Orignal)

Comment

The thing you should notice is consistent stops from 60-0 time after time....when the VOA brake kit came out, the fourth stop was shorter than the first. THAT is what a BBK is for (and looks).
      Blk 94 PGT, with not nearly enough stuff on it.

Comment

if it's just a single piston caliper why bother switching it? wouldnt it be better to just reuse the ones we already have?

i dont know brakes at all, sorry.
        1997 Honda Del Sol S

Comment

hi. the multi piston setups are much better if you are really using the brakes hard, and repeatedly, such as in a racing situation. the single piston calipers tend to 'banana out' the brake pad; they actually bend them into fun, neat looking shapes, wreaking all sorts of havoc when you need max braking power (such as in the last 3-5 laps of a race!!!).

i went to the dual piston caliper, so as to distribute the braking forces more evenly across the metal plate of the brake pad. no more bent, twisted, ruined brake pads, even after a 2 hour race.

you need a much larger diameter rotor, both for additional braking torque, and for additional mass and heat dissipation (and make it thicker, also; the rotors i use are 1.2" thick!).

i used to fracture the original oem rotors within two days, sometimes less. the current rotors are on their third year of racing!!!

i'll add, though, for 'sane street use' a single piston caliper is fine.
          Last edited by d15b7; June 2, 2008, 02:45 PM.
          Todd Reid #11 ReidSpeedInc.com Ford Probe GT
          2011 Race Track Combat Champion
          2011 NASA National PTE Reserve Champion
          2009 & 2007 NASA Mid Atlantic PTE Champion
          "If you wanna go faster, you gotta be able to STOP!"

Comment

I have the parts for a 2 piston millenia setup..

I guess I am just going insane then Todd...

j/k
            John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
            '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
            '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
            '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

i priced rotors and they arent too bad. calipers, on the other hand, are for the same price as two rotors. that'd be a single caliper, mind you.

i dont think my question was answered though: do i need to buy a new caliper when i upgrade my rotors? i kinda figured a single piston caliper was a single piston caliper.
              1997 Honda Del Sol S

Comment

Originally posted by twiztid_wun View Post
                i priced rotors and they arent too bad. calipers, on the other hand, are for the same price as two rotors. that'd be a single caliper, mind you.

i dont think my question was answered though: do i need to buy a new caliper when i upgrade my rotors? i kinda figured a single piston caliper was a single piston caliper.
                well considering the way our caliper is mounted, it wont support anything larger than an oem rotor (unless you fab up some extension brackets)... so if your doing this brake upgrade, your going to need both the caliper & rotors...
                05 Lotus Elise
                95 black pgt-ze... sold

facebook

Comment

I received my calipers today (2006-2007 non-mazda speed) and they are in fact bolt on! Once I receive the rotors I will test fit them as well.
                  These 06-07 Mazda6 calipers (not speed) make the Millenia S setup look small and to add too this, the Millenia S rotors almost fit except the diameter is to small (they would require a .025 min shim between the hub face and rotor back face).

That is all.
                  Rick_96PGTâ„¢ #62
                  "I never apologize.
                  I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am."
                  - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_96PGT View Post
                    I received my calipers today (2006-2007 non-mazda speed) and they are in fact bolt on! Once I receive the rotors I will test fit them as well.
                    These 06-07 Mazda6 calipers (not speed) make the Millenia S setup look small and to add too this, the Millenia S rotors almost fit except the diameter is to small (they would require a .025 min shim between the hub face and rotor back face).

That is all.
                    i'm still looking for a set without much joy. maybe someone will find some for me at a reasonable price over there.

just to clarify are you talking full set or just front ones being bolt on. curious about the e-brake setup?

Comment

I am currently working on the front only; once completed I will then begin on the rear.

Oddly similar to having sex.

As for the E-brake, I don't see that as a problem.
                      I probably could find a set reasonably priced, but I don't know what shipping to Australia might do to "reasonably".
                      Rick_96PGTâ„¢ #62
                      "I never apologize.
                      I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am."
                      - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I just woke up from a nap and all my parts for a front swap where waiting for me, I am debating if I should install them or not.
                        270whp - 251tq

$mycar = driving(FALSE, TRUE);
                        function driving($filter, $turbo) { if(!$filter && $turbo) { return TRUE; } else { return FALSE; } }

Comment

i just wanted to add, that both millenia and mpv dual piston calipers do not fit with the mazda 6 caliper bracket.
                          1993 PGT

Comment

I got them installed and will post some pictures later. It does brake better, but I cannot make a proper estimate because the brake line washers are leaking, and im too tired to go and fix it.
                            270whp - 251tq

$mycar = driving(FALSE, TRUE);
                            function driving($filter, $turbo) { if(!$filter && $turbo) { return TRUE; } else { return FALSE; } }

Comment

I don't know why this issue still keeps popping up, but if you install the rears, you'll loose the E-Brake, it's been mentionned several times now. Unless you can fab your own E-Brake bracket.
                              KLZE, Hotshot Headers, Hotshot CAI, Pacesetter exhaust, 626 swar bar, AWR adjustable endlinks, Centreforce clutch, MX-3 Flywheel, JJ resonated TP, Eibach Springs, Shogun Rims, Mach 1 Chin and Mazda6 BBK (the Orignal)

Comment

Pics of any of these installs?
                                John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
                                '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
                                '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
                                '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X