Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive heard alot of word of mouth about these, never thought it was actually happening.

The suspension from a gt can bolt up to a 2.0 right? This _could_ be used on a 2.0? I'd imagine ideal settings would be different on a 2.0, but thats why everythings adjustable....

TEIN... yum
    '95 Probe SE ATX->MTX

Comment

Where's the drool smiley Damon??
      Katrena
      Sold 97 Rio Red PGT Stock
      RIP 94 Electric Red PGT Borla • TW Motorsports
      95 Seafoam Green PGT
      I facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by katherself
        Where's the drool smiley Damon??
        I totally agree!

I can't wait to get some more information on these in the coming weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by Serric
          Ive heard alot of word of mouth about these, never thought it was actually happening.

The suspension from a gt can bolt up to a 2.0 right? This _could_ be used on a 2.0? I'd imagine ideal settings would be different on a 2.0, but thats why everythings adjustable....

TEIN... yum
          Yes, all suspension parts are the same for all 1993-1997 Probes (except for spring rates and damping values). These will install on your 2.0 with no problems, but as you've mentioned, they are not as ideal for the 2.0 models as they are for the GT models since they have been designed with the GT in mind.

-phreak
          Official: KYPO - LexPOC :: Honorary: TNPOC - NYPOC - NEPO / NPA! - OHIO PROBES
          Major Meets Attended: MM7 - TNPOC/KYPO 2K4 - HH2K5 - OCMD2K5 - MM8 - StM2006 - HH2K6
          Yeah, I'm still alive...

Comment

Is the weight difference/distribution that significant b/w the GT and SE?
            My car - another fully functioning OBD-II ZE.

What the hell is Lomo?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyp
              yes, the front end is heavier in the GT due to the V6 weighing more than the I4
              but people lower there cars with GT aftermarket springs/coilovers all the time with out a problem all the time. So i do not think there would be any problem.
              -Kyle
              93 Black probe (K-sporting) My Cardomain

Mazdaspeed SVO 2.Slow turbo build teaser thread**

Comment

Originally posted by onlyp
                Base weighs 2,619lbs., SE weighs 2,690lbs., and GT weighs 2,921lbs. Plus, the distribution of said weight is completely different, so yeah, it's a noticeable difference.

-phreak
                Major Meets Attended: MM7 - TNPOC/KYPO 2K4 - HH2K5 - OCMD2K5 - MM8 - StM2006 - HH2K6
                Yeah, I'm still alive...

Comment

the distribution of said weight is completely different, so yeah, it's a noticeable difference.
                  So, what about the GT guys that have some serious weight reduction done? Or have even added a turbo kit? thats a siginificant amount of weight difference. Would a slightly different coil be apropriate?

I guess what im really trying to ask, is there any reason a 2.0 shouldnt get this? Other than the possible price.
                  '95 Probe SE ATX->MTX

Comment

Originally posted by Serric
                    So, what about the GT guys that have some serious weight reduction done? Or have even added a turbo kit? thats a siginificant amount of weight difference. Would a slightly different coil be apropriate?

I guess what im really trying to ask, is there any reason a 2.0 shouldnt get this? Other than the possible price.
                    OK, here's the gist:

AS IT COMES, this suspension kit will be ideal for the car it was designed on, being a stock 2nd gen Ford Probe GT. However, it was mentioned that you can buy additional springs separately to be able to get whatever spring rate you like. So, this setup is able to be custom-tuned to your specific vehicle.

Now, if you're not a hardcore autoX/track enthusiast, are you really going to notice much of a difference (or care)? Probably not. I imagine that 99% of the people on this board won't care enough to get alternate spring rates for their TEIN setup.

So, if you've got a base or SE, should you get this? Absolutely. I wouldn't let anything stop you. If you get it and then decide that it could use a different spring rate specifically for your car, then you can order the springs only and swap them out.

-phreak

**EDIT** Oh yeah:

Originally posted by The Brain
                    Keep in mind that although you can install different springs the Damper is only designed to handle ours effectively with rates of F: 7-11kgf/mm and R:4-8kgf/mm without the need to be revalved.
                    Last edited by phreakintheroom; September 22, 2005, 11:40 AM.
                    Yeah, I'm still alive...

Comment

• Originally posted by onlyp
                      Yes, there is that much of a difference in total weight. However, it is weight distribution and more specifically diagonal (or cross) weight that is more important in a vehicles's dynamics and hence in designing a proper suspension.

That said, I don't want to jump to conclusions, but with most of the extra weight on the GT, obviously, on the front end of the car it might not be to terrible difficult to assume that the Base/SE models would be very similar to a mid-90's Celica (or similar car). If so, then the possible alternative spring rates could be 7kgf/mm (Front) and 5kgf/mm (Rear), values that TEIN recommends of that car. In addition, these rates would also be within the specification of the dampers without the need to revalve. And, with the SuperStreets you would maintaining most of the range of adjustability of that damper.

Maybe not a perfect fit. But perhaps, if some more information can be had about measurements of things like cross weight and F/R weight distribution %, track and length, then one might find a suitable vehicle from TEIN's catalog to determine a good choice for the 4-cyl's. Just a thought.

Michael
                      My car is no longer STOCK, and people are STILL laughing at me!

'94 Mazda PGT Black ('95 Zero-Mile KLDE Engine from Japan with some of my '93 Steel Blue Frost in there too. )

Comment

• Originally posted by The Brain
                        Yes, there is that much of a difference in total weight. However, it is weight distribution and more specifically diagonal (or cross) weight that is more important in a vehicles's dynamics and hence in designing a proper suspension.

That said, I don't want to jump to conclusions, but with most of the extra weight on the GT, obviously, on the front end of the car it might not be to terrible difficult to assume that the Base/SE models would be very similar to a mid-90's Celica (or similar car). If so, then the possible alternative spring rates could be 7kgf/mm (Front) and 5kgf/mm (Rear), values that TEIN recommends of that car. In addition, these rates would also be within the specification of the dampers without the need to revalve. And, with the SuperStreets you would maintaining most of the range of adjustability of that damper.

Maybe not a perfect fit. But perhaps, if some more information can be had about measurements of things like cross weight and F/R weight distribution %, track and length, then one might find a suitable vehicle from TEIN's catalog to determine a good choice for the 4-cyl's. Just a thought.

Michael
                        Well put.

However, I can't help but wonder if it would be possible for TEIN to, say, determine these figures and make a spring recommendation so that this one kit can be used (with the aforementioned "additional" replacement springs) on ALL models of 2nd. gen Ford Probes (and maybe MX6s as well). I would think that it would be in their best interests (especially given the super-limited Probe market for these things) to make this kit available to as many Probe owners as possible.

Just a thought, anyway.

-phreak
                        Yeah, I'm still alive...

Comment

• Just so you know i once posted corner weights for a 2.0

Josh
                          Silver 2011 5.7L Toyota Tundra CrewMax
                          Former Owner of The Fastest N/A 2.0 Probe

Comment

• Originally posted by nolanspawn
                            Just so you know i once posted corner weights for a 2.0

Josh
                            Would you post those specifications for your car? And, if you could detail any modification to the car for comparison, that would be appreciated.

I will be getting new tires soon and will see if corner weighting is possible at that time. I plan on running the car at an open track day event, here in the So. Cal. area, this month. With any luck, I won't be the only one driving it.

Michael
                            My car is no longer STOCK, and people are STILL laughing at me!

'94 Mazda PGT Black ('95 Zero-Mile KLDE Engine from Japan with some of my '93 Steel Blue Frost in there too. )

Comment

• Originally posted by The Brain
                              I plan on running the car at an open track day event, here in the So. Cal. area, this month. With any luck, I won't be the only one driving it.

Michael
                              Pizzi, when is this open track day event? I'd like to your car at it

Comment

• Originally posted by Robot#666
                                Pizzi, when is this open track day event? I'd like to your car at it
                                he is considering the HPDE event at buttonwillow nov 4-6, sponsored by SVTOA.

i may or may not attend this myself. it just depends on how much $$ i have left after buying stacey's myrtle ticket and booking our room.
                                ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

Working...
                                X