No announcement yet.

Official How To: Vaf To Maf Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats what i thought, just wasnt sure if there was a way around...i hate that PA is of the Cali-spec emissions testing... im currently running into a p0400 egr flow code, as well as bank 1 and bank 2 fuel trim malfunction....i have to figure this out before i go through with the MAF swap. im hoping it will level out my fuel mileage a bit. what about boost levels through this setup, what is the limit before there is a fuel cut??
    <1997 PGT>\ Medium Alpine/Tan Leather\CF_Z Bushings, AWR F&R mm, AWR 19mm rear sway bar kit, eBay drilled & slotted brakes, shorty intake, <PUNCHED CAT>, Ngk plugs & wires,front strut bar

<2003 MSP> #1369\ Spicy Orange Mica/ AWR Rear Mount\JoeP MBC/20%\EBC Greenstuff

Comment

The Millie S is said to run around 5-6 psi during normal driving and into the mid teens during WOT, so we know at last the MAF can read that high. I had boost creep to 7psi (kinked WG line) and it never cut. I still daily mine on 5psi. MSDKLZE was running 8 psi until he had engine problems. The thing is, the Millie ECU that we are using was never intended to encounter boost. It was just a theory until I proved it works. As far as I know, me and MSDKLZE are the only ones that have boosted on this setup so going any further than we have is going into the unknown. If you plan on going higher, keep a super close eye on that wide band and hang on tight!
      Last edited by WhiteDart; June 20, 2011, 03:39 PM.
      Jim K.
      :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

Went to my local u pull it today for some recon on what they had milly wise...turns out, they had a 99 2.5,and a 00 S. I grabbed the kl47 Maf and iat, along with all pigtails. Ecu in the 99 is marked KLP2. Just curious to see if it will work, otherwise ill just buy the KLL5, as I have a 97, and have read they are slightly different from the 96 KLG8.

Can anyone confirm or dismiss this speculation?
        <1997 PGT>\ Medium Alpine/Tan Leather\CF_Z Bushings, AWR F&R mm, AWR 19mm rear sway bar kit, eBay drilled & slotted brakes, shorty intake, <PUNCHED CAT>, Ngk plugs & wires,front strut bar

Comment

im not sure what the klp2 looks like. but you are correct in that the kll5 and klg8 are different. i believe its just grounding points, and maybe an o2 sensor or two. so stick with your year if you can it will make things much easier. by grabbing that iat i hope you grabbed the rubber grommet that holds it in. you will need that lol
          1996 pgt - 148k miles
          milly maf conversion, klg4 intake mani(need a new one!), stage 1 clutch, mx3 flywheel, many other mods

Comment

Oh, i grabbed it all, trust me! I was debating about the kj01 Maf but grabbed the kl47

Yeah, that's what I thought. I found a pretty comprehensive list of Ecu codes, so ill post it tomorrow when i get on my work computer, and off my droid!

all the sockets on the klp2 look ok according to my OEM klg2....my question is the o2 sensors and grounding points.

I also found a 99 klg4 all intact that has the weird 96 style o2 setup, so im not sure if that would cross from 626 to millenia being 2.5 and same year. (Engine was out of milly, along with the harness)
            Last edited by nofearchad18; June 28, 2011, 08:25 PM.

Comment

i can email you 99 Millenia ECU diagram to see the O2 grounding points. Just compare to your car year O2 grounding points.

you can use the 99 ECU. I do remember though one of the newer years changed the speed sensor input to the ECU. I'd have to check that for you.

Comment

kj01 maf works too. its the same as the kl47
                1996 pgt - 148k miles
                milly maf conversion, klg4 intake mani(need a new one!), stage 1 clutch, mx3 flywheel, many other mods

Comment

looks like 2001 and up have a different speed signal setup so avoid these

1997 and up have fuel tank pressure sensors and you will likely get a code as the PGT doesnt have the pressure sensor.

1996 PGT and millenia bot have two of the 4 O2 sensors grounded at a junction point on the tranny case

I would almost bet that you can use the 99 ECU with next to no problems.

Comment

linky to ecu codes. seems to end at 1997 though
                    http://www.ford-probe-driver.de/set_..._steuergeraete

so along with the atx code, I can expect fuel pressure code as well?
                    what will that do for drivability? that wouldn't make it run more rich or lean with a default 'limp' map?

this is a good test....i like where this is heading

Comment

The fuel tank pressure sensor is for emissions not a fuel pressure sensor. it wont affect drivability.

Comment

If anyone wants to experiment with either of the MAP sensors(fuel sensors?) like a kl47 or a JEA7, I have both available.
                        DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
                        94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

i could steal the kl47 map out of my girls MSP too. how would that work exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by mikexmayhem View Post
                            kj01 maf works too. its the same as the kl47
                            in reference to this, how is it with mustangs and camaros you can use a "calibrated maf" from something else and make it work? is there something in the circuitry in the box mounted on the maf that is tweaked to compensate for n/a and/or boost conditions?

if so, wouldn't a kj01 be better for boost applications and kl47 for n/a?

is my thinking off basis here?

Comment

yes you are off, but im not in the mood to fully explain the inner workings of a MAF.

Calibration just is for using biger or different maf from original and the output vs airflow values wont match. A maf sees air flow mass not necesarily "BOOST pressure"

Comment

I got mine up and running sunday after much drama, I installed it once before and it ran like crap (so rich it was blowing smoke) and I thought the MAF must be bad and packed it up til I could get the correct size couplers for it... then a massive backfire blew up my VAF

Turns out the MAF and ECU all work perfectly and the car is as good as all the testimonials claim

Comment

Working...
                                X