No announcement yet.

Official How To: Vaf To Maf Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glad to see another member thats converted. did you just to the intake sensor, and maf, or did you do the map sensor also?
    PaTricK
    ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

Nice work dude. We would love to see it run!

On another note, Mike it is going to be while before this ZE turbo gets the 'Squirt. Stay patient bro and the MAF kit will be yours one day.
      DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
      94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

Originally posted by MonoxideChild View Post
        glad to see another member thats converted. did you just to the intake sensor, and maf, or did you do the map sensor also?
        Just the maf and iat for now. If the boost sensor proves isefull i will definitely grab one.

Originally posted by MSDKLZE View Post
        Nice work dude. We would love to see it run!

On another note, Mike it is going to be while before this ZE turbo gets the 'Squirt. Stay patient bro and the MAF kit will be yours one day.

One of the dramas was instaling pacesetter headers and it sounds pretty nasty npw lol, im probably the only one to do the swap with the stock air box and elbow.

Comment

Wish this was obd1 compatable
          '93 Mazda MX-6 LS: Five AD S5F 18x8.5 +30 & P215/35R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE760's, KW Variant 3 Coilovers, Traction Bars, South Bend Stage 2 Daily Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Corksport Stainless Braided Clutch Line, '07 Mazdaspeed6 F+R Brakes, Power Slot Rotors, Hawk HPS, Goodridge SS Brake Hoses, Pacesetter Headers, Test Pipe, Borla Catback, Outlaw Spacer Kit, EGR Block-Off, PRD STS, UHMWP Shifter Bushings, Trans Saver, PRM CAI, RedLineGoods Shift Boot

Comment

It is! It just takes more work.

Comment

It really isnt considering there isnt an obd1 millenia
              1992 Mazda MX-3 GS - KLG4 Turbo

Scott

Comment

You dont need an obdi millenia. Its all just electronics and nearly everything has a corosponding wire it just takes more time as more repinning and some splicing is needed.

Comment

If the ECU isnt programmed to accept the signal a MAF sends out compared to what the VAF sends out, it wouldn't work. Thats why you need the ECU from the donor car for it to work.
                  '93 Mazda MX-6 LS: Five AD S5F 18x8.5 +30 & P215/35R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE760's, KW Variant 3 Coilovers, Traction Bars, South Bend Stage 2 Daily Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Corksport Stainless Braided Clutch Line, '07 Mazdaspeed6 F+R Brakes, Power Slot Rotors, Hawk HPS, Goodridge SS Brake Hoses, Pacesetter Headers, Test Pipe, Borla Catback, Outlaw Spacer Kit, EGR Block-Off, PRD STS, UHMWP Shifter Bushings, Trans Saver, PRM CAI, RedLineGoods Shift Boot

Comment

Yes, like i said it just takes more repinning and splicing.

Comment

^ SO . . . 95 PGT, n/a KLZE, straight neck, 65mm tb, hotshot intke/headers, high flow cat, 2.5 catback, chipped ECU. . . beneficial to swap to MAF? worth the efforts? still not possible to not have a CELL due to MTX right?

ls-6 . .. any write-up on the specific diffs for an obd1?
                      96 PGT & 97 Prizobe put down in their prime, 96 PGT with minor bolt-ons :SOLD & MISSED:
                      95 PGT-ZE with more bolt-ons :SOLD for rwd fun:
                      71 Mach1 Mustang w/a 400 its Aliiiiiiiive!
                      02 allroad 2.7TT w/ 60k #because bags, Porsche brakes, Stg I Tune & Exhaust...just getting started

Comment

Worth the effort is up to you since it is a lot more work, your chipped ecu will go obviously but someone will probably buy it for more than the whole swap costs you.

For your specific swap there is no wire for wire write up but if you complete thr swap you might write one for other 95 owners.

Specifics will depend on your car (ie a 95) and the exact year of donor car along with what optional bits you want to include like the obdii ports.

Two items that you might have to take care of is the map/boost sensor as i dont believe 95s have one and possibly the distributor.

I know the 92-94 disty is different and will have to be replaced with a newer one but im not sure about your car.

Comment

Forditude - I've spent hours and hours reading reports and posts about the MAF swap.
                          It's one of the best modifications you can do, but only to OBD-2. If you want this thing to happen, it's easiest to swap the whole electronics to OBD-2 and start from there.
                          OBD-1 ECU's in Probes/MX6s monitor the engine differently and this way they're too slow to control the MAF. I have no idea why they didn't put the MAF into KLs in the first hand back in 92 but they did put it into 2.0... hah.
                          94' Probe GT ZE with most of the bolt-ons and some minor modifications
                          http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm266/ollibeib/PGT/ - Pictures of my PGT

Comment

I will be the first OBD1 Milly MAF with 99 Milly ECU. In time as it is a back burner project to prove its doable. My KLP2 ECU will be shipped soon.

I will need to do a few more things to eliminate more codes such as add the EGR boost, add fake canister drain cut valve, fuel tank pressure, trans fluid temp.

Wire the ECU for trans range D Drive and Hold Switch On to keep it in first gear and add only one trans solenoid valve. hopefully this will prevent most all AT codes. Might have to wire it to L instead though.

Just on a side note:

95 ECU could be used on a 93-95 PGT mx6 if you get the ECU connectors and pigtails. You can re-pin your car to match this ECU as the connectors are the same type. The 95 has a fourth small connector plug so be sure you grab connector +pigtails.

96 ECU is Plug N play with 96 PGT/MX6

97-2000 ECU is plug N play with 97 PGT/MX6 (But can be used on 96 if you add and wire up the O2 sensors correctly.

96-2000 ECU can be used in OBD1 if you do lots of splicing or build a patch harness to mate the two.

2001 and 2002 ECU's are not good to use as they expect the Vehicle speed sensor to be coming from the transmission ATX input turbine sensor. The ECU appears to give the speedometer a signal. 96-2000 ECU's show a VSS and an ATX input turbine sensor.

KL47 95
                            KLG8 96
                            KLY5 97
                            KLL5 97
                            KLL6 98
                            KLP2 99/00
                            KL1c 201/2002
                            Last edited by Mr.Jason; October 9, 2011, 02:38 PM.

Comment

New member of the VAF to MAF conversion here. Haven't had hardly any seat time yet, but the little ride i did get, it did pull harder in the upper RPM's. Look out tomorrow after work! Did notice the car's idle is low, but i'll need to mess with that tomorrow.

Comment

Welcome to Club KL47

XmikeXmahemx will be joining us soon.
                                DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
                                94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

Working...
                                X