No announcement yet.

Official How To: Vaf To Maf Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone thought about using KLG4 parts instead of KLG8 parts?

Comment

KLg4's ecu's are alot different. then you would have to be swapping pretty much every last piece of electronic on the motor.
      PaTricK
      ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

Originally posted by nocomply540 View Post
        Has anyone thought about using KLG4 parts instead of KLG8 parts?
        wait .. wut?

Do you know what a klg8 and klg4 is ?
        DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
        94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

if he's referring to a 626 I believe it has been tried, at least for obd2, and was unseccessful if I remember correctly
          1996 pgt - 148k miles
          milly maf conversion, klg4 intake mani(need a new one!), stage 1 clutch, mx3 flywheel, many other mods

Comment

Well, I had debated doing that swap recently, but it was so complicated, I gave up.
            I still have access to the entire 98 626. All the pieces are still in it except for the motor, which I bought.
            94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

Originally posted by MSDKLZE View Post
              wait .. wut?

Do you know what a klg8 and klg4 is ?

I was under the impression that the KLG8 was the millenia 2.5 na motor and the klg4 is what I have in my 2002 626. It comes with coilpacks and a MAF from the factory. I thought it would be easier seeing as how it's the same engine. I would think it'd be easier to just use the 626 MTX ecu. Just throwing some thoughts out there.

Comment

nah, the Klde is what they put in the Millenia 2.5 and the 96 Milly ecu is a KLG8.
                The 98? + 626 motor is the KLG4 and I forgot what the ecu code is. To use the 626 hardware (coilpacks and external cam sensor) would require using the ENTIRE 626 harness and cluster. i didnt want to go through the guess work of splicing harnesses, so I quit that project completely.
                94 Probe GT..no engine!

Comment

Originally posted by mikexmayhem View Post
                  1. this is obd2 only. the obd1 millenia did not come with a maf
                  does it fit on a OBD1 probe??
                  First known PGT-ZE in France,SE on 9PSI,3rd in France

Comment

it will "fit" but it won't work unless yer obd2. It just wont
                    1996 pgt - 148k miles
                    milly maf conversion, klg4 intake mani(need a new one!), stage 1 clutch, mx3 flywheel, many other mods

Comment

Originally posted by MSDKLZE View Post
                      nah, the Klde is what they put in the Millenia 2.5 and the 96 Milly ecu is a KLG8.
                      The 98? + 626 motor is the KLG4 and I forgot what the ecu code is. To use the 626 hardware (coilpacks and external cam sensor) would require using the ENTIRE 626 harness and cluster. i didnt want to go through the guess work of splicing harnesses, so I quit that project completely.

Thanks for the 411 kind sir!

Comment

Wow this brings back memorys:
                        http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-oth...ur-mx6-ls.html

I might do this again.
                        Denny Crane /\ Capsule E.R.
                        05 GTO 408 Stroker \ 13 FRS LSx Swap (IP) / 02 Camaro SS 6.0L Chey's \ 14 F-150 5.0L / 96 MX6 M-Edition
                        Give college students enough time and they can set anything on fire. --Cross & White Dart

Comment

Originally Posted by mikexmayhem
                          1. this is obd2 only. the obd1 millenia did not come with a maf
                          The only "obdii" millenia is the 95 (first year produced stateside) and dose use a MAF iirc. From what I have seen they look identical to the later ones but I have never seen the ECU codes or connectors/pin outs.

Mazda made changes from small to major in every year of KL powered probe/MX6 from 93 to 97 so I dont doubt it wouldnt work in a 95 probe.

Also for any MX6 owners who look up this thread the MX6 ecu is a LOT easier to get at than the probe or mx3. Just pop out the little tab under the E brake handle and remove a screw then the whole center trim piece from the armrest/bin to the ashtray pops out exposing the ECU. In a 5 speed car just flip the trim over the shifter the get it out of the way as the boot will still be in place.

Comment

sorry to bring this thread back up, but its got some useful info and ive got a pretty relative question. obd2, for emission regulations, cant have the check engine light on to pass to get your stickers (at least for me in PA) what is the code that the new ecu throws, and is there a way to get around it, ie: wiring in a resistor somewhere or a dummy sensor of sorts?

Im looking to turbo by next summer, and instead of going MS, this is just much easier since i have a junk yard right down that road and the parts would be easy to get. Unfortunately, this would be my daily driver, and I WILL GET PULLED OVER if my stickers aren't valid. Maf+Turbo>Vaf+Turbo for tuning sake as well......

On a side note, I love how the KL community keeps coming up with these tricks to get around stuff...MSD window switches for VRIS, now this!!! Keep it up!!!
                            <1997 PGT>\ Medium Alpine/Tan Leather\CF_Z Bushings, AWR F&R mm, AWR 19mm rear sway bar kit, eBay drilled & slotted brakes, shorty intake, <PUNCHED CAT>, Ngk plugs & wires,front strut bar

<2003 MSP> #1369\ Spicy Orange Mica/ AWR Rear Mount\JoeP MBC/20%\EBC Greenstuff

Comment

its all trans codes since the ecu is for a atx. for emissions, your best bet is just swapping back to your stock ecu, and vaf. which after you have done the swap, is all plug and play. you could swap the stuff in there parking lot in less then 2 minutes.
                              PaTricK
                              ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

I have the Millie ECU stuffed under the stock ECU so I could swap back and forth easily between the MAF and the VAF while I was initially testing boosting on the MAF. This mod really is as easy as swapping a few plugs around.
                                Jim K.
                                :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

Working...
                                X